Oil Storage Temperature?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does it really matter where you store new, unopened bottles/jugs of engine oil? I store my stash of oil for the bikes (Rotella 15w-40 and Rotella 5w-40syn) with the bikes in a unheated out-building.

Since I got a bunch on close-out they have seen one winter, one summer, and now winter outside . Probably be used up by end of next year or the following spring.

My car stuff is in the basement, and I'm pretty tight on space. If it's a genuine problem, I probably can find some room, but I don't need another 8 gallons of oil in the house.

Drew

Just don't store them above 1,500 degrees F.
grin2.gif

Like Dr No & XPR said, as long as they're sealed, I wouldn't worry about it. Only really extreme heat would affect it. After all, oil is produced in some unruly temps.

Mine is in the cellar, which ranges from 35F to about 70F. Before a change I bring the 6 quarts inside to get nice an warm before I pour it in the engine. That is so I don't leave a lot in the bottles.

Originally Posted By: televascular
According to Dr. Haas, conventional motor oil should not be stored in very cold places because waxes will begin to form.
Yes I have heard of the wax formation, which can happen right in the oil pan if the vehicle sits a long time. For the parked car, an oil pan heater should prevent that. For stored oil, I would think putting it in a 70F environment for a while should eliminate the waxes. Wax should not be an issue for many of the latest spec oils (SM). Perhaps 10w30, 15w40, and 20w50 still have a lot of Group I but most other grades should be largely Group II and up. And I thought wax was mainly only an issue with Group I.

Originally Posted By: televascular
According to Dr. Haas, conventional motor oil should not be stored in very cold places because waxes will begin to form.

They go back into suspension when the oil gets warm. So if your just storing it this isn't an issue at all. Won't be good to add it to the engine while its cold.

I called Pennzoil about storing PP in an unheated garage vs my heated basement storage room. They said the shelf life in unheated storage was 12-18 months and inside was 60 months. So my stash is in the basement.
wink.gif
According to them Dr.Haas is correct.

Last edited:
fyi

Code:
1) Store lubricants in a cool, clean and

dry indoor area.

2) The ideal storage temperature for

lubricants is between 45ºF and 80ºF,

and the temperature should not fluctuate

significantly.

3) When storing drums or other large

containers outside for extended periods

of time, ensure no dust or moisture

enters the container.

4) Grease containers should be stored

right side up to avoid bleeding (fluid

separation). Bleeding commonly

occurs with grease and is more prominent

at higher temperatures.

5) Wipe off the tops and edges of containers

before opening to avoid contamination

from improper handling.

6) Always use clean tools.

Well, with the salt and ice on the roads, I don't think I'll have to change out the oil until spring! 12-18 months is plenty of time for me burn through 8 gallons of oil between 2 bikes. I might date the jugs for FIFO rotation though.

Thanks for the replys

Drew

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
I store my oil in my wine cellar right next to the Merlot and Shiraz...

Hmmm....better decant that wine before you drink it. You don't want to be accidentally serving a guest some 5w30.
shocked2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back