Anyone who has an Ecotec 2.2L engine..

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you have a car with the Ecotec 2.2L engine and regular power steering (not electric), is the power steering reservoir under pressure when you remove the cap to check the fluid level? Ie, does the cap "pop" like opening a can of soda when you unscrew it? (It's not a whole lot of pressure, nothing sprays out, but it's definitely under pressure).

It does on my mom's car (2004 Chevrolet Classic) and I wonder if the cap is supposed to be vented, but for whatever reason isn't and that's why it's doing this. On my Mustang there is a tiny hole in the cap for this purpose. I would expect other power steering systems to have a vented cap as well.

A new power steering reservoir cap is $12--if this isn't normal I'll just buy a new cap.

Sounds good to me. I figure maybe the cap is designed to release pressure at a certain PSI or something. Maybe it's better that way since it means water doesn't get in.

My 1994 Grand Am has a little pop to it when I open the reservoir cap. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have electric steering.
LOL.gif

I wonder if the lack of a power steering cooler in the Chevrolet Classic has anything to do with it? Do these other cars mentioned in this thread have power steering coolers? (This usually takes the form of a U shaped metal tube mounted in front of the radiator. More elaborate designs might have fins).

I have a 2004 Pontiac Sunfire with the 2.2L Ecotec engine. Yes, my power steering pops when I open it up - like opening a can of soda. My sister's 2005 Sunfire (same engine) does the same thing.

I never thought anything of it...

Here is a quote from the GM Certified Dealer Mechanics Training Manual regarding that issue:

"with regard to any mechanical cracking, popping, whining, whooshing, grinding,slapping or screeching noises made by any and/or all General Motors vehicles the proper response to the customer is: Sir, they all do that!
grin2.gif

Funny, my 2005 Trailblazer 4.2L was exactly the opposite. I'd get a vacuum pffftt sound when removing the PS reservoir cap. IMO, either way, these reservoirs should be vented to prevent a pump shaft seal blowout you'd think?!?

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
Funny, my 2005 Trailblazer 4.2L was exactly the opposite. I'd get a vacuum pffftt sound when removing the PS reservoir cap. IMO, either way, these reservoirs should be vented to prevent a pump shaft seal blowout you'd think?!?

Joel

Yeah but if they did that the aftermarket parts sales would plummet!
smirk2.gif

I think maybe the gasket on the cap is designed to vent at a certain pressure, to function as the weak spot in the system.

I suppose you could pierce the gasket to make it vent better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back