Looking for a GL4 Specific. Amsoil or Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
It says I can't edit my other post
54.gif
Anyways I looked at amsoils site MTF and MTG are the two oils. The MTF is the 5-30 and the MTG is the 75-90 My truck calls for 2.5Qt of 75-90

Think it would be safe to try 1qt MTF and 1.5 Qt MTG ?? That should be giving me all the protection I need. Sheesh most ford trannies run ATF because of the needle bearings they use.. Fuel mileage and mostly shift performance are my two real motivators... The amsoil itself and following the recommended oil change intervals should make this trans last forever anyways ((I drive it pretty gently)) Rarely ever tow anything and if I do it's something small (I have the 4 cylinder)

Originally Posted By: CruzNlife1
It says I can't edit my other post
54.gif
Anyways I looked at amsoils site MTF and MTG are the two oils. The MTF is the 5-30 and the MTG is the 75-90 My truck calls for 2.5Qt of 75-90

Think it would be safe to try 1qt MTF and 1.5 Qt MTG ??

I'm pretty sure above I gave you the link to MTG and said it's a 75W-90. I will add that it is NOT a "thick" 75W-90 as the RP is.

I think mixing them is fine, I do it frequently....but that (60/40) mix may be on the thin side for a Toyota tranny in Florida. You'll end up with a fluid like this:
Quote:
viscosity at 40°C 66.9
viscosity at 100°C 12.4
viscosity index 187

25/75 will give you:

Quote:
new viscosity 13.2
viscosity at 40°C 73.0
viscosity at 100°C 13.2
viscosity index 185

25% MTF is 20 fl. oz.
75% MTG is 60 fl. oz.

80 fl. oz = 2.5 qts, unit (tranny is rated at 5.5 pts, 2.75 qts, but that never happens). Top up with the mix or MTG as necessary.

Thanks guys sounds great. Will definitly try the 25/75 I've got a bunch of stuff in my "cart" at amsoil's website still with the PC discount and everything in there through the link I got from pablo I just havent paid for it yet, looks like I'll just add some more stuff to it.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
"Anybody have any pictures of synchros that dissolved due to GL-5? Didn't think so!

You guys are scared about nothing. GL-4 has plenty of sulfur in it as well, and the sulfur only becomes corrosive at temperatures over 250 degrees F. How many of you get your transmissions that hot? "

I seem to remember in a thread eleventy billion years ago that there was no longer a valid SAE Test for GL-4 and the equipment to do it was sent to Siberia. No?

Today I drained 1 quart of the Nissan MTF and added 1 quart of Mobil 1 Dexron III/Mecron ATF,then topped off with the drained MTF until it tricked out of the fill hole. Just took the initial test drive and shifting through all the gears was completely silent and effortless. Shifting from 1st to 2nd was so slick that I couldn`t even feel the gears changing. Hopefully this will be long-term (keeping fingers crossed!!!!!!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back