want substitute filter; x-ref not found

Status
Not open for further replies.

dnewton3

Staff member
I want to find a suitable replacement for my Scag hydraulic filter. The part number is 48462-01. I cannot locate it on Wix, Purolator, Fram, or Baldwin sites. (Wix does show it as valid number, but with no x-ref; makes me think they make it and have a non-compete clause???).

I'm up to my 100 hour service and want to change it during Christmas break, when I do the winterization for several of my seasonal pieces of equipment. I just about poo'd myself when I found out how much Scag wants for this filter!
crazy2.gif

Any help would be great. I don't know the thread pitch, but I know that I can't go any taller, due to interference with the frame.

In the past I purchaced industrial hydraulic filters from Motion Industries, Parker, Schroeder, and Western Filter. There should be a local Motion store in your area. Parker, Schroeder, and Western Filter should be sold thru a local hydraulic distributor.

dnewton 3,

If you google Scag 48462-01, you will come up with lots of info. For instance, this site

http://www.mowtownusa.com/122.html

lists your filter as the equivalent to a Toro 67-8110, which crosses to a NAPA Gold 1200 (Wix 51200).

This is a dangerous way to cross reference and I recommend that you call Wix to confirm your selection. Not worth ruining an expenxive hydro system to save a few bucks.

Good Luck.

Yeah - I've looked at the 51200, but it's not an EXACT x-ref. The 51200 is a 25um, which is a direct match for the Scag 48758, but not for the 48462-01. They both have the same thread pitch, and some parts stores on the internet are showing them as interchangeable, but clearly they're not.

That's why I was looking for any info to a DIRECT x-ref. I can't seem to find one. There is a 51259 in Wix that is 10um, like the OEM, with the same gasket size, but it's taller, and I'm going to have to do some exact measuring to see if it will fit.

I cannot find that number xref'd on any of my usual sites. Donaldson doesn't list it ..nor does Filtermart.

FilterMart will usually have a listing for the base number with all the variants after the - being the micron level. ..but they have zilch for this filter number.

Is the 5200 the right length?

If you put - Thread Size (Inches): 1-12 (paste) that exact quote into the search engine at Donaldson, you'll get every hydraulic filter they make. You can then see the length. Most are 5.7"+ ..but I imagine that some may be shorter. Use the "search" and not the xref.

P551550 4um nominal 5.4"
P502032 no um rating ..but the gasket size is right 5.14"

hmmm..

that last one exref's to 51091 ..and it looks like the gasket should work assuming a flat mounting surface.

Part Number: 51091
UPC Number: 765809510913
Principal Application: Chevrolet, GMC, Isuzu Trks 4-Cyl 2.2L Diesel Eng (84-87)
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow/By-Pass
Media: Paper
Height: 5.225
Outer Diameter Top: 4.300
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: None
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Burst Pressure-PSI: 275
Max Flow Rate: 12-16 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 6

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 3.052 2.470 0.173
Packed 0.716 0.498 0.109

I did some research and was able to find an exact cross to a number in Baldwin, Donaldson, Fleetgard, Luber-finer, and Wix.
Baldwin-BT346,BT8918
Donaldson-P551204
Fleetgard-HF6120
Luber-finer-LFP2287
Wix-51200,51519

Last edited:
But he wants 10um nominal. the Wix numbers you quote are way off in that regard. He's already rejected the 51200 for that reason.
The Donaldson number is rated @ 47um nominal.

Length is only one criteria here.

Good work though. I couldn't "get in" with any of my techniques. It was all "long hand" ..so to speak.

I got busy last night with repairs to my son's 4-wheeler, so I didn't get to measure the filter. (It was 30' away, yet I got pre-occupied. As they say: simple minds, simple pleasures ...)

Seems I have a couple Wix options; 51091 or 51259. They are only .25 inches different in height. The width isn't an issue for clearance. I don't think the gasket will matter much either.

I'll try to look at it tonight. If a can get a longer filter in, there seems to be some alternatives with a few Wix choices. If not, I guess I'm going to have to (gulp) buy OEM. OUCH!

Thanks to all for the help in research!

Well, the OEM 10um filter is about 3.5" tall, so the 51259 and other similar filters will be much too long.

Does anyone know how the Wix filter numbers break down? Do they have a "system" to their numbering which might help me find a filter I'm looking for without the true drudgery of looking them up one filter at a time?

I know that the thread is 1-12; the canister is approximatly 3.7" wide and 3.5" tall. The gaset is 2.86 o/s and 2.43 i/s, but the base looks as though it might accept a slightly larger gasket diameter.

I haven't been able to figure a rhyme to the numbers. I can usually identify some pattern ..but, if there is one, it escapes me.

So, you've got a 1-12 thread filter with a 3.66" diameter can that's 3.5" in length with a 2.8/2.4 gasket. Aside from the thread ...this is effectively a PH16 variant (lengthwise)

If you use the attribute search at Donaldson, you can dial in your thread, can OD and gasket OD and ID and it will puke out all the various filters.

P551756 is one that may suit your needs in terms of size
Part Number: 51247
UPC Number: 765809512474
Principal Application: IHC Tractors, New Holland
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Transmission Filter
Service: Transmission
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.790
Outer Diameter Top: 3.660
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 1-12
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 7-9
Beta Ratio: 2/20=14/32
Burst Pressure-PSI: 350
Max Flow Rate: 12-16 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 25

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
15314 2.834 2.462 0.175

..but as we see, falls short in nominal micron value. The multipass specs appear fairly close.

Isn't this a great mystery? Champion labs crosses the Scag number to their LFP 2287. I called their techline for the micron rating and after several minutes of looking, he said it was about 25 microns also.

On the net, there are some lawn/garden parts supply houses that have fitlers available for my Scag as a x-ref. Some of them are actually the right size, and supposedly 10um (presumably nominal). They would work, I assume. Some of the sites even reference the same part number (Sten is the mfg?), but when I x-ref into Wix, it comes up blank. I have never heard of Sten; anyone know of them? The prices are not too bad.

My ultimate goal was to find a Wix x-ref. I just like the known quality of Wix/Napa, and the good prices through fleetfilter. I would certainly consider a true x-ref from another quality brand like Purolater or some Champion labs product.

I highly suspect, but have no proof, that Wix is the OEM supplier. When you type in the Scag #, the Wix reply is something to the effect of "this is a valid competitive part number; there is not cross reference at this time". In my sarcastic little suspicious mind, that's double-talk for "we make the proprietized product; you must pay out the wazoo at the OEM."

It does give you the impress of a"Oh, we know about it ...but we're not going to tell you. If we did, we'd have to kill you." type thing. They may have a non-marketing agreement as part of the OEM contract.

Sten is an aftermarket outdoor power equipment parts supplier (manufacturer?) located in Indiana. They are owned by Ariens.

I find it hard to believe they manufacture filters. If you had one of their filters, and/or your OEM filter, someone here could tell you who the manufacturer was by it's construction.

I've seen the Stens for $10 bucks on the net, but add shipping and your back close to the over the counter ones.

Maybe a John Deere dealer would have their equivalent for less?

They probably don't. I'm sure that they "job shop" it out. Many have enjoyed the facade that makes most of us clueless as to "what's what". One former member was paying $12 each for filters for his Delorean. They were common 3/4-16 thread filters. Same deal here, I assume.

Looks like these guys took it to the next level of facade. Even if you figure out the fundamentals ..it's jeeeeeeeest enough different to make you ponder.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back