Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't sure if you were asking me, but if you were-
I don't know. I'm nearly 60 and weigh 250, so I don't do dirt
wink.gif
Too much work!
I went with that tire for a couple reasons-
I could get it
I didn't want to go skinnier. Just about all our driveways have a 1" or so lip on them. I want a little extra squish factor because of my weight. Also, My pump only goes up to about 60 PSI. I didn't want to have to buy a new pump or rely on the gas station to keep a skinnier tire inflated.
I wanted a little bit of tread because "sand" tends to build up in the bike lanes (the city doesn't sweep those very often) and in the fall, there's a lot of "leaf slime" in the bike lanes after the city finally picks those up.
This tire seemed like a good compromise for me.
It does make kind of an annoying "popping" sound when riding on WET (not just damp) streets. I guess the air gets trapped and then kind of "farts" out. Maybe if I weighed less or ran a higher pressure, it wouldn't?
I only have this on the front. I run a 2" no name (Bell?), semi slick on the back for gearing purposes. The 1" smaller diameter is like adding a tooth to my top cog.
Right now I run BIG:6 comfortably on the flats and have BIG:7 left for our semi annual tailwind. (14-13)

Yeah, I was asking. I guess any tread will help on a sandy road. You got tires with suction cups!
wink.gif

On a clean road, tread is totally unnecessary. The road's surface roughness provides all the necessary friction. Bikes don't go fast enough to hydroplane, so tread probably doesn't do much to improve wet traction.

Im running Panaracer Fire XC pros front and rear right now. Pretty good all around tire. Not great in sand, but not bad either. Not great on flat, but pretty good. Best all around tire I think Ive ever run for offroad

[image]
IMG_0025.jpg
[/image] [image]
IMG_0013.jpg
[/image]

Personally, I've gone from Kenda to Panaracer, to Hutchinson, and now back to Panaracer Smoke Tires. Good old style, but still reliable IMHO.

(although they get a little squirlley on black asphalt sometimes)

GL

Quote:

Is that a bell on your handlebars?!

It's required where I ride in So. Florida.

Though I'll admit that most pedestrians are oblivious to the sound when I use it.

Last edited:
Just don't get any Continental Town and Country tire if you go over 23mph. I was racing a guy today and when I hit 23mph the whole bike shook. I think they are out of balance.

I have a bell on my bike too. I'm just sick and tired of yelling at people to move.
smile.gif

I'm running this Serfas tire on my commuter. The price was right at $20/tire but they are a tad slick in the wet. I'll try something else next time.

STK-23.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back