Walmart Super Tech 15W40 HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
850ue6g.jpg

I swear either Blackstone's reports are reading low across the board or a lot of CJ oils have seriously cut down the P-Z and Ca levels.
My vote is that Blackstone's calibrations are off big time and have been for some time.

I don't expect moly or Boron in supertech oils but I don't expect PCMO levels of Z and P in an HDEO either.

Originally Posted By: jmac
I swear either Blackstone's reports are reading low across the board or a lot of CJ oils have seriously cut down the P-Z and Ca levels.
My vote is that Blackstone's calibrations are off big time and have been for some time.

Walmart SuperTech is still CI-4 grade as far as I know. Those numbers look like a well used passenger car oil.
Something is seriously wrong at Blackstoned.
shocked2.gif

I'd want an explanation why their numbers are so far off compared to other labs.

i would be concerned running such a low EP, AW calcium ZDDP oil in one of these modern high output turbo'd diesels with the low lubricity of ULSD

rod, wristpin, crank and cyl. wall/pistons contact loads are high, especially on long hard hill pull. Dodge's can easily run 100 hp and 150 lb/ft of torque per cyl hole, the V8's slightly less

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: jmac

Walmart SuperTech is still CI-4 grade as far as I know. Those numbers look like a well used passenger car oil.
Something is seriously wrong at Blackstoned.
shocked2.gif

I'd want an explanation why their numbers are so far off compared to other labs.

Yea something is wrong somewhere. Either with the oil or Blackstone's conversions.

Could it be that the fact that this oil is produced in Canada?

I believe the supplier is Safety Kleen.

I don't see how it could have those numbers and still meet CI-4 specs.

You took the words right outta my mouth. Very poor additive package. I would not trust that oil in my 45K truck (if I had one, lol)

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
I don't see how it could have those numbers and still meet CI-4 specs.

You took the words right outta my mouth. Very poor additive package. I would not trust that oil in my 45K truck (if I had one, lol)

Well, I meant it as a rhetorical question.
cool.gif

Something must be amiss at Blackstone. This isn't the first time one of their VOA have come in at the far low end of the scale.
It's either that, or the oil compaines are quietly, (and drastically), reformulating some motor oils.

I suspect the former.

I wish we knew for sure which one was which. Or you could send the same ST to Blackstone / Terry and label it as "unknown oil" and see what they come up with.

I seriously doubt it's the oil.
The recent TDR comparison test listed SuperTech 15w-40 at: P-1179ppm, Zn-1276ppm and Ca-3016ppm.
12.gif

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

However, SuperTech is supplied by the lowest bidder at the time, and that seems to vary by region. So I would not be surprised to see two completely different looking VOAs of SuperTech at any one time.

One VOA of SuperTech I read a while back looked suspiciously like Rotella.

Originally Posted By: deeter16317
I seriously doubt it's the oil.
The recent TDR comparison test listed SuperTech 15w-40 at: P-1179ppm, Zn-1276ppm and Ca-3016ppm.
12.gif

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/TDR57_Oil.pdf

However, SuperTech is supplied by the lowest bidder at the time, and that seems to vary by region. So I would not be surprised to see two completely different looking VOAs of SuperTech at any one time.

One VOA of SuperTech I read a while back looked suspiciously like Rotella.

According to Mannix it is all under long term contract with WPP.

That's what you hear, but I can tell you that it seems to vary by region...would it be cost wise to ship bottled oil from CA to NJ? Or have multiple refineries, one per region?

I know I have seen UOAs that looked a lot different from each other, even when comparing UOAs. They looked like completely different oils...not just different wear metals.

I'm starting to wonder about Blackstone also with all the discrepencies in reports. A while back there was a posting on Polaris ATV Synthetic 0W-40 that came back very poor as far as additives. Well I had a sample ran at a different lab and it came back much better and what you would expect and see in most synthetics. Also the UOA came back with higher ppm than the posted VOA from Blackstone. Blackstone seems to be a proportionatly low in each report I see. Calibration issues?

Originally Posted By: paul246
Could it be that the fact that this oil is produced in Canada?

I believe the supplier is Safety Kleen.

Then it would be labeled Tech 2000 and the manufacturer (SK) will be on the back of the container.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back