High Revs and GC/30-Weight Oils

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also a fan of GTX 20w-50 in my old Brit ('70 Lotus Europa). 80+psi of oil pressure when cold which drops down between 60 and 75 when hot. It's geared just about the same as DCG's MGB.

I've also heard VR-1 is a good oil. I may give it a shot in the future.

Quote:

Someone needs to call all the Nascar engine builders and let them know. No wonder they have so many failures...
crazy.gif

Do you think the failures are from 30 wt oil?.

A thin oil pumps better than a thick one at any given temperature. Yes, some thinner oils will break down or shear, but many wont. and in today's motors, 30 is nto a thin oil.

A thicker oil, at lower temperatures, will simply not be able to pump sufficiently to feed a rapidly spinning motor. A thinner oil will.

Of course, very demanding stresses adn temperatures *may* call for a thicker oil with higher resistance to shear, but that is truly an extreme circumstance (like running flat out, full throttle, for hours on a racetrack)

Grant

Originally Posted By: itb76
Quote:
my civic revs 4300rpm at 80mph, so i guess i have to use 15W-50 oil :p

LOL

I thought my VW was bad. 3300rpm @80mph. It really needs a sixth gear.

My VW tops out at 80 MPH @ 3900 RPM. In fourth!
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: insomniac
Someone told me that if you're on a "thin" oil (30-weight or less), never hold your revs above 3K RPM for like more than 15, 20 seconds.

Ridiculous, I believe...but...decided to put this out and see what you guys have to say.
smile.gif

Let's see...Formula 1 uses custom blended oils in the 20 to 30 weight range and those engines spend 90% of the race turning 10,000+ rpm. Guess the races must be extremely short for that theory to hold up.
smirk2.gif

Originally Posted By: Saab9-3
I thought they used straight 5w, or 10w as per Dr.Hass papers.

I don't think so. I think the blends are typically in the 7.0 cSt to 9.0 cSt range.

Originally Posted By: BMWDriver
Someone told me the earth is flat, must be true!

If you've ever drivin across Nebraska in the winter......

My '96 M3 spends plenty of time above 3k -- as much as it can within reason on public roads -- and has seen nothing but 30wt for the past ~40k miles (BMW 5w-30, GC, Motul X-Max). My last UOA was pretty darn good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back