Redline Oil 5w40 Statement of Fact?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would this statement be proven, or is it possible with the statement facts detailed by Redline?

Quote:

5W40

Our 5W40 engine oil provides for quicker lubrication and easier start-up. Reduces turbo lag and provides more power and economy in a properly functioning engine, while providing 25% thicker oil films than a petroleum 5W40 or 10W40. Recommended for many late-model European vehicles and as a factory fill replacement in many newer VW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz applications.

End Quote:

Why wouldnt it be true, key words are Petroleum, verus's a synthetic and a 5w40 aginst a 10w40. This ad is just like all the syntec and other synthetic oil propaganda, that states "Beats all leading conventional oils" doesnt beat the price though. I think Syntec's is the best, we beat the leading conventional by 29% but cost 100% more.

It's kinda fun to break this down....

Our 5W40 engine oil provides for quicker lubrication and easier start-up. Answer: True :)

Reduces turbo lag and provides more power and economy in a properly functioning engine,Answer: I can see this :)

while providing 25% thicker oil films than a petroleum 5W40 or 10W40. Answer: I don't know, can somebody inlighten me on the 25% thicker film idea? and can you get a 5w40 mineral oil?
frown.gif

Recommended for many late-model European vehicles Answer: By who?
frown.gif

and as a factory fill replacement in many newer VW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz applications. Do these OEM's want the replacement oil to be Redline?
frown.gif

I would like to at least know the 25% film thickness over a 10w40 weight mineral oil :)
frown.gif

Redline uses zero VII's in all but the 5w-40 and an ester base stock. This is why their oils have such high shear stability.

Quote:
When the oil film is sheared or squeezed out, then your protection is now reliant on barrier lubricant additives. Oil has 3 states of lubrication , Hydrodynamic, mixed film, and boundary(barrier). The best is Hydrodynamic which is nothing more than a flow of oil separating two mating surfaces. After a period of time shearing, the oil will lose it's ability to hold up to the same flow as before since the VI Improvers are breaking down causing the oil to thin down in grade. Once this happens, there is less film strength between the mating surfaces so it doesn't take as much for the oil to shear, therefore creating more heat which attacks the base oil even more and then starts to cause the oil to thicken up due to the excessive levels of heat and the broken down VI Improvers become a contaminant which added to the existing oil will continue to thicken and ultimately cause sludge if not changed in a reasonable time..

Originally Posted By: Panzerman
Why wouldnt it be true, key words are Petroleum, verus's a synthetic and a 5w40 aginst a 10w40. This ad is just like all the syntec and other synthetic oil propaganda, that states "Beats all leading conventional oils" doesnt beat the price though. I think Syntec's is the best, we beat the leading conventional by 29% but cost 100% more.

yea I like those adds. Especially where Castrol has 2 cars on the dino. One car is using syntec and the other using dino. Well dduuuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh, of course syn is going to out perform dino, unless that dino has one heck of an additive pack.

Last edited:
Quote:

providing 25% thicker oil films than a petroleum 5W40 or 10W40

Perhaps "petroleum" doesn't mean "non-synthetic"; Rotella 5W-40 is a petroleum product, isn't it?

Quote:

Recommended for many late-model European vehicles and as a factory fill replacement in many newer VW, Porsche, and Mercedes Benz applications.

These are RL's recommendations. It simply answers for what application should this be used.
Notice the 5W-20 text

Quote:

Replacement for OE factory-fill oils in many new Ford and Honda passenger cars and light trucks

or 20W-50

Quote:

Not recommended for street use in production engines that see sustained oil temperatures below 225°F

Their recommendations, nothing more, nothing less.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Panzerman
I think Syntec's is the best, we beat the leading conventional by 29% but cost 100% more.

Who's "we?"

RL 5W40 has posted exceptional UOA's on this site. No other oil has shown such consistency IMO. Search in UOA section for Tyrolkid and see what RL 5W40 did in his very HP engine. I say show any other UOA's that consistently match these.

Originally Posted By: sprintman
RL 5W40 has posted exceptional UOA's on this site. No other oil has shown such consistency IMO. Search in UOA section for Tyrolkid and see what RL 5W40 did in his very HP engine. I say show any other UOA's that consistently match these.

It's definitely up there. Very good oil.

Originally Posted By: hannaco
For what ever it may be worth, I have used Red Line 5w-40 in a VW TDI for the last 156,000 miles without any problems. Before that I had tripple digit Fe with Delvac-1.

To tell you the truth, I started to look at Redline 5w40 because of your exceptional results on your TDI. It appears that the TDI engine likes a thicker oil at 100c, cSt. Redlines is 15.1 and Delvac or Mobil 1 turbo diesel 5w40 is 14.8!

I can not speak for anyone else, but I get consistant results with the Red Line 5w-40. That is about all that I can ask for.
The VW TDI just seem to be happy with this oil. It is less happy with the Delvac-1, and Shell Rotela 5w-40.
Not to hi-jack the thread, but I get similar good results using Delvac 1300-S in the Isuzu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back