Ethos fuel re-formuletor

Status
Not open for further replies.
just 35 years in the business nothing will give this increase in mileage UNLESS engine is in bad condition and this stuff cleans injectors/carb etc.
bruce

OTC, mailorder or midnite information fuel-mileage add-ons come and go and those who puts out exorbant claims would either get into trouble with FTC or similar eventually.

If they are truely what they claimed for (in terms of fuel mileage increase, etc., major automotive companies would endorse them and buy them outright overnite (do you know how much $$$ spent in R&D just to improve modern venerable gasoline's fuel efficiency???!?do you?)and start using them in their products. Ditto with oil companies for they want their business to be sustainable to their stock holders as well.

IMHO there's never a need for famous car racers and such to promote the product if they are that good.

My 2c's worth.

I got some cheap(er) on Ebay and I am in the process of trying it now. I will post the results of the test in a couple of weeks. I don't generally believe in this sort of thing but thought, what the heck, I'll try it and see.

John

I hear you quest and bruce. What you two said make a lot of sense, and I am skeptical too. It will be interesting to see what John has to say about it later though.

I would just add that IF it really did do anything, it would cost way out of whack with what could be gained in real $$/economy. Like I said in the Zmax thread. $50 ..if it saved $12 worth of gas its claims would be true. Auto manufacturers and blenders have a few hoops to jump through for marketability and longevity and lots of consequential side effects. Look what they had to do just to reduce hydrocarbons and CO
21.gif
... change the entire fuel market to unleaded gas. Something that was thought to be way too impractical at the time of the development of the catalyst. I watched a Chrysler training film on emissions. I think it was a 1969-70 production. I didn't view it until 1973.

So, I would think that it's fairly safe to assume that anything that can have any practical gain to it, in any sensible balance of economy, has been considered, tested, and rejected ...or adopted. The odds of anything new under the sun with 100 years of refining the reciprocating engine are going to be marginal/fractional in effect. I think we're down to shaving the onion.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
grin2.gif

Money has always been tight in my family so I wouldn't exercise such practice no matter how "tempting" it sounds. I just don't like to see my hard-earned money goes to crooks.

IF you have all the time, the $$ in the world to tease their double-$$ back guarantee, plse do so and report back to us. While some of the posters may be tempted in trying such cccrrrapp, me personally would stay on the well-beaten path of automotive chemistry.

I had to laugh as I was looking at Ethos auctions on Ebay...one seller claims Ethos fixed his rear main seal oil leak! HA!

So far I have almost used one bottle of Ethos and have noticed NO change in idle, NO change in fuel economy, and the stuff coming out the tailpipe looks like it always does. Snake oil indeed.

John

Normally I don't give in...but they had those news clips from, LA and LV I think, saying it really did increase mileage and reduce emissions. Wonder what trick they pulled to make that work?

John

Originally Posted By: Oilgal
Does anybody have any solid facts for why it can't really work?

Just asking.

It can't work because the problem they claim to cure doesn't exist.

From their sales pitch
Quote:

Do you own a car? Go in the garage or drive-way right now, and run your finger around the inside edge of the tail-pipe.
What you'll see now is your finger coated with a dark black smudge. This stuff on your finger is wasted un-burnt gas by your engine, and your wasted money.

Most people don't know that the average car engine is only 17% to 23% efficient, because of energy conversion inside the engine,
and because 20% of the gas you buy usually goes right out your tail-pipe as carbon waste.

Emissions testing on cars shows hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions in the low parts per million, not 20% of everything that comes out of the tail pipe. If Ethos had any ethics, they wouldn't be claiming that 20% of fuel goes out the tailpipe unconsumed. But then, the suckers wouldn't be buying their product.

Originally Posted By: XS650
Originally Posted By: Oilgal
Does anybody have any solid facts for why it can't really work?

Just asking.

It can't work because the problem they claim to cure doesn't exist.

From their sales pitch
Quote:

Do you own a car? Go in the garage or drive-way right now, and run your finger around the inside edge of the tail-pipe.
What you'll see now is your finger coated with a dark black smudge. This stuff on your finger is wasted un-burnt gas by your engine, and your wasted money.

Most people don't know that the average car engine is only 17% to 23% efficient, because of energy conversion inside the engine,
and because 20% of the gas you buy usually goes right out your tail-pipe as carbon waste.

Emissions testing on cars shows hydrocarbon and carbon monoxide emissions in the low parts per million, not 20% of everything that comes out of the tail pipe. If Ethos had any ethics, they wouldn't be claiming that 20% of fuel goes out the tailpipe unconsumed. But then, the suckers wouldn't be buying their product.

My guess is they are counting the carbon dioxide (CO2)too. CO2 production is 1:1 correlated with fuel economy, so if it doesn't improve fuel economy directly and siginficantly, it is definitely snake oil.

I haven't used Ethos, but I do use Dipetane. In my vehicles I get at least 10% better mileage (Ford 4.0L and 4.6L)The cost of the product is about 18 cents a treated gallon of gasoline. At today's prices I am saving at least a few pennies a gallon. The vehicles also run as good as I could hope for. Only posted one mileage test a year or so (my sons Ford Focus..testing different additives) but to reach the BITOG'S masses believability scale I would have to be Frank from Auto Rx...So....This is my first post about Dipetane since then. In my vehicles...it work's!

Here is my Ethos test:

The vehicle--91 Dakota 4 cyl/5 speed, 90k miles, owned since new.

Daily driver, 20 mile commute, half freeway half city, always get around 25 mpg on this trip.

Ethos claim #1: increases gas mileage. Well, after 4 fill ups using the prescribed amount of Ethos, I'm getting...25 mpg. Big improvement.

Ethos claim #2: reduces emissions. I didn't want to spend money having the emissions tested, but in looking at the tail pipe the stuff coming out looks the same as always.

Ethos claim #3: cleans the fuel system. When I first started using it I thought the truck idled a bit rougher, now it seems a bit better, perhaps it did clean something.

Conclusion? Waste of money. Not surprising but I just had to try it.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back