What is high lubricity motor oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that many of the Audi/VW service manual list the same chart for what oils for what temps. They have two sections: Section A is high lubricity oils multigrade and section B is multigrade only. Some manuals say section A is energy conserving multigrades. Below is what the chart shows. I'm guessing something got lost when they translated it to the US manual maybe. So maybe someone could clarify that. What exactly is high lubricity or energy conserving multigrade according to VW/Audi. Thanks for your responses.

-

quote:

Originally posted by lpcmidst128:
I've noticed that many of the Audi/VW service manual list the same chart for what oils for what temps. They have two sections: Section A is high lubricity oils multigrade and section B is multigrade only. Some manuals say section A is energy conserving multigrades. Below is what the chart shows. I'm guessing something got lost when they translated it to the US manual maybe. So maybe someone could clarify that. What exactly is high lubricity or energy conserving multigrade according to VW/Audi. Thanks for your responses.

-

energy conserving is like a Mobil 1 0w10 SuperSyn

high lubricity is probably a syn, don't you think?

Yeah thats what I think too, that a high lubricity is a synthetic. But then it wouldn't make sense for them to put the 5W-50, 10W-60, 10W-50 in section B as multigrade only, which are synthetics.

The reference in the VW/Audi manuals is to the energy conserving rating of the oils. This reference is a bit dated though. Back when it was a new idea to label oils as 'energy conserving' the oil was required to get at least 1.5% better fuel economy. Later on this was changed to Energy conserving II which equated to 2.7% better fuel economy over a standard oil

You'll note that the "high lubricity" oils are of lower viscosity in chart A than the normal multi-grade oils listed in chart B (at least in the charts that I have handy).

What you call "high lubricity oil" is "Leichtlauföl." It refers to friction modified synthetic oils that meet the appropriate VW oil spec like VW 502.00 and VW 503.01.

"Leichtlauföle" result in lower friction and fuel savings compared to regular multi-grade oils, but they do not necessarily get the "Energy Conserving (II)" rating, as that is NOT a European rating.

For example: M1 0W-40 is labeled "Leichlauföl" in Germany. However, M1 0W-40 does not meet the US rating "Energy Conserving (II)." I don't think there is any A3 rated oil that can meet "Energy Conserving (II)."

Oh that makes more sense now. I guess the thing that makes it confusing is the US specs and European specs differ. Thanks for the replies.

"Energy Conserving II" is an obsolete spec. Currently the spec is called "Energy Conserving."

It doesn't apply to any 40 wt. oils, and only lower HTHS oils pass the energy conserving test.

Ken

M1 0W-40 says now "Energy Conserving"? It didn't when I used it in my car. I was not aware of any oil with HTHS =/>3.5 that is labeled "Energy Conserving."

quote:

Originally posted by Ken2:
It doesn't apply to any 40 wt. oils, and only lower HTHS oils pass the energy conserving test.

That's what I thought. But I am now looking at the bottle of M1 0w40 and it has the label "Energy Conserving" on the donut.
confused.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back