Rotella T 10w30 additive fallout?? pics included

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did an oil change yesterday from my oil stash. I have about 130 quarts of oil. I've had this oil for 3 years, you can see the copyright 2004 on the bottle. I bought it from walmart on closeout prices. I have stored in my 2nd bedroom closet with an min 70 degrees and high of 78 degrees not expose to outside temps. I did invert the gallon container a few times before I poured the oil in my 96 sunfire. Look what I found at the bottle of the container. is this additives that have fallen out? This has changed my mind on having a huge stash unless the oil is free after rebate. I know shelf life has been asked over and over again on this site, but I'm starting to wonder. I'm using up my SL stash which is about 30 qts of my 130. I haven't even got to my SM oil yet.
grin2.gif
what does everyone think about the pics?

rotellain.jpg
[/img]
rotellabottle.jpg
[/img]
rotellain2.jpg
[/img]

Are you sure that you didn't get up in the middle of the night and tinkle in it, thinking that you were in an office and all the bathrooms were out of order?

I lose so many bottles of oil that way.

No but seriously, I'd post it on the Shell forum and see what the engineers there have to say, too.

I have seen that in several oil bottles before. Not sure what it is. I always shake my bottles of oil like a spray paint can for about 5-10 secs before I dump them in.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
I did an oil change yesterday from my oil stash. I have about 130 quarts of oil. I've had this oil for 3 years, you can see the copyright 2004 on the bottle. I bought it from walmart on closeout prices. I have stored in my 2nd bedroom closet with an min 70 degrees and high of 78 degrees not expose to outside temps. I did invert the gallon container a few times before I poured the oil in my 96 sunfire. Look what I found at the bottle of the container. is this additives that have fallen out? This has changed my mind on having a huge stash unless the oil is free after rebate. I know shelf life has been asked over and over again on this site, but I'm starting to wonder. I'm using up my SL stash which is about 30 qts of my 130. I haven't even got to my SM oil yet.
grin2.gif
what does everyone think about the pics?

rotellain.jpg
[/img]
rotellabottle.jpg
[/img]
rotellain2.jpg
[/img]
I have no idea what's in the bottom of the jug. I'm new here so bear with me. I used to put Mobil Delvac 1300 Super, and Chevron Delo 15w40 in my commuters until I spoke with a Chevron lube technician. The diesel oils have not been formulated to promote long catalytic converter life. They have been formulated to combat acid formulation due to high sulfur fuel. Does someone care to expand on this?

Additive fall-out is an issue with many oils. I have experienced it with Valvoline ALL-Climate. General Motors 4 years ago told their dealers to NOT use the very large barrels (55 Gallon?) for oil dispensing at the dealerships. GM dealers are supposed to use the smaller (30 Gallon?) oil drums. The reason stated but, I can't quote exactly was LONG TERM STORAGE MAY CAUSE ADDITIVE SEPARATION. I now always shake all oil and additive before dispensing. I think this is especially important if one is adding 1/2 bottles. Many UOA of VSOT have shown weird results which is probable caused by using a small un-mixed sample.

Yep, that is probably additive seperation. I called Pennzoil about that issue for PP stored inside. They said 5 years was the shelf life if stored inside and 1-2 years if stored in an unheated area. So, I have a 1-2 year stash from the bogo at AAP and won't buy more oil until that is gone. I do shake the bottles before I pour.

Originally Posted By: PT1
Yep, that is probably additive seperation. I called Pennzoil about that issue for PP stored inside. They said 5 years was the shelf life if stored inside and 1-2 years if stored in an unheated area. So, I have a 1-2 year stash from the bogo at AAP and won't buy more oil until that is gone. I do shake the bottles before I pour.

Just speculation here.....if additive seperation is the reason for the "shelf life" on an oil (2-5 years), if you shake the bottles before you pour them in your engine, won't the additives mix back in with the oil and the oil will be good as new?

since this is a HDEO motor oil, a little additive separation isn't bad for my cat converter sake. but still.. 3 years and additive separation in stable temps is just mind blowing to me. I have two more gallons of this stuff. I used mobil delvac 1500 15w40 prior to this that I bought on the same day as this rotella T 15w40 from walmart and there wasn't any additive separation at the bottom of my mobil quart bottles. I remember I bought 20 mobil delvac quarts for a $1 a piece and 3 gallons of this rotella for $5 a piece. FWIW, I did invert this gallon container 3-4 times but did not shake like a spray can though. I'm going to UOA this batch when I hit 5k miles. So I'll know if my other 2 gallons of this stuff will be fine.

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
Originally Posted By: PT1

Just speculation here.....if additive seperation is the reason for the "shelf life" on an oil (2-5 years), if you shake the bottles before you pour them in your engine, won't the additives mix back in with the oil and the oil will be good as new?

No, the additives actually fall out of chemical suspension according to the Pennzoil guy.

Have seen that 'stuff' on the bottom of SLOB bottles as well.
How old those bottles of SLOB are is anyones guess.
Can't afford to keep my oil inside, so a un-heated garage is the best I can do.
Will have to watch for that when the spring oil change comes around. I would think that adding a little thin oil after emptying and slosh it around to get the adds back into suspension and dump that into engine.
Once it gets all mixed back up, it should be good for the OCI.
My 2¢

Additive fallout? What you are seeing is the dyes in the oil interacting with the plastic container. If there was such an issue, think of what would happen to owners of fleets that service with 250 gallon drums!

Originally Posted By: bruce381
dispersant or CA sulfonate normal for being 5 years old no big deal.
bruce

In your opinion Bruce, would shaking the bottle help before using it? Or would these additives simply fall back out of suspension in the engine later on?
Thanks.

Originally Posted By: Mannix
Additive fallout? What you are seeing is the dyes in the oil interacting with the plastic container.

I hope you are right Mannix because I did an oil change last night and I forgot to shake the bottles.
frown.gif

been trying to get my hands on that hdeo for years.If we agree on a price could you ship it USPS, so it will be good and mixed when I get it next year!

I really doubt it is only the dyes because a. My quart sample separation appeared to be ~5%/95% and b. If only dye, why would GM require dealers to use smaller bulk oil containers and say BECAUSE LONG TERM STORAGE MAY CAUSE ADDITIVE SEPARATION? I think that mixing will restore the oil to original but, maybe Molekule or an other Chemist will chime in. Ed

I wouldnt worry about it, better that stayed in the bottle, then went in your engine. I have some Mobil 15w50 in 5 qt jugs that is about 7 years old and I have been using it in the lawn mowers and motorcycles, when i empty a jug, It has that on the bottom, its about 7 years old though and been in freezing weather and in 90 degree weather. I got like 10 jugs of it, for $5.00 a piece at a Walmart clearence sale. Ill just use it up, Id hate to dump it. I have been using my stash on the oldest first basis, and discovered I got too much oil, Iam currently going thru the Old(blue botle) Havoline synthetic 5w20 from 2006.

no one other than some boutiques use dye (and that is green or blue) it is NOT dye it is a small amount of add pak NOT A BIG DEAL forget about it.
bruce

Last edited:
Shakeing bottle is OK and the heat of operation will re disolve any additive though this is normal due to solubility or lack of with GPII anf better base stocks the "metal" additives will fall out shakeing is Ok but IMHIO not needed.
bruce

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back