CJ-4 Flash Points

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was comparing flash points and was wondering why there is such a big difference between Delvac 1300s when compared to Rotella and Delo.

Delvac 1300s - 236c, 457f
Delo 400LE - 204c, 399f
Rotella - 204c, 400f

That's a pretty big difference. I'm assuming the Delo and Rotella are using much thinner base oil with many more additives, but I don't know. Their flash points definitely dropped from the CI-4 versions. Maybe Delvac added some synthetic in it to compensate? Not sure what the design philosophy is there and would like to hear what folks think about this.

Thanks!

Definite base oil difference (in addition to its unique add pack). Delvac 1300 uses 115+ VI Grp II+; others likely use typical ~95 VI Grp II. Oil consumption rates may likely reflect this advantage as well.

Last edited:
The Canadian version of Rotella's 10w30 CJ-4 has a flash point of 249C FWIW. Still sheared fairly significantly in my application at 40C though.

Indirectly it can since a lower flash point means the oil vaporizes at a lower temperature. It's more commonly used as a reference point for detecting fuel contamination and gauging how much "life" the oil has left in it.

Figures, as just last night I bought 4 gallons of Rotella T 15-40 in favor of the Delvac 1300 which sat beside it onthe Wal-mart shelf (and ironically enough, was priced a few pennies cheaper). I realize there are lots of factors to consider - any points favoring the Rotella T over the comparable Delvac product?

*shrug* It's still a fine oil, trusted by many fleets. The only time it sees temperatures over 400 degrees is when it's splashing off of the cylinder walls, and even then it will just raise the temperature, not bring it up to 400 degrees right there. Maybe it'll consume a tiny bit more, but it's doubtful you'll have any real problems attributable to the flash point.

Last edited:
Delvac's fine oil but so is Rotella. And Delo. Not sure it's worth agonizing over one statistic where there is such a great track record. Besides, isn't NOACK a better indicator of potential oil consumption?

I wasn't trying to imply one is better than the other. I just wanted to better understand the approach that Delo took that lowered it's FP 60F, when Delvac did not go that route. I was hoping someone like Bruce might chime in that could explain it.

It raised my curiosity that two very different approaches were used to meet the same goal. I'm sure that Delo and Rotella now probably have some nice advantage over Delvac, and would like to know what that might be.

I did a recent comparrison of published specs on Delo CJ-4 (my current oil) versus Castrol Tection Extra CJ-4. In just the flash point area alone the Castrol was 450 deg F versus the Delo's 399 Deg F. But it also put up better numbers in other tests as well. I just bought a bunch of the Castrol and plan to switch over at my next change (there's a $6 per 3 gallon rebate good 'til year end too).

My truck is an'07 F350 6.0 PSD btw...

I have a couple UOA of CJ-4 Rotella 15w40...Blackstone completed the analysis.

9,800 miles on oil = 420*F
8,200 miles on oil = 455*F
8,500 miles on oil = 405*F (this oil saw very hard use)

FWIW...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back