Anybody heard of Krex Graphite engine lubricant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ARCO had a graphite oil back in the late 70's early to mid 80's. I only know one person who used the oil and he seemed to swear by it. ARCO folded up the tent in my neck of the woods several years back. I don't think they make the graphite oil any more. Maybe it had poor sales or there were some technical problems like keeping the graphite in suspension.

Quote:

Not so fast letting the dealer off. The charged for useless Krex without telling the owner and removed the charge when the owner caught the scam. Owner did not know there was a charge until discussing on a forum. Dishonest scamming dealer. That is why dealers are called stealers.

Actually, I learned of a charge when I looked at my order invoice which was a negative number since he removed it from the cost of the oil change. So this particular service advisor was very honest.

I should also mention that I learned of Krex during the write-up when I asked him everything that is done on the 5k service.

Quote:

Does anyone remember the fiasco with ARCO graphite oil back in the 80's. I don't know if this graphite additive is an inprovement over ARCO's oil, so please correct me if i'm wrong. But I seem to remember some of the problems that occured down the line with the ARCO oil down the line. I just don't remember the particulars well enough after all this time to make an informed correlation.

Maybe someone could clarify the problem with the old ARCO oil. Thank you.

I used Arco Graphite for awhile with no problems but I seem to remember that it was taken off the market for reasons other than sales but I cant remember what they were. I still have the car, a 70 Camaro and it still runs fine.
dunno.gif

Quote:

Got my first oil change on our Toyota Sienna this morning at the dealer where I bought it from. They are offering a 200,000 mile engine warranty if the car is serviced there. But the warranty is contingent on them dumping something called Krex Graphite Lubricant in with my oil. They claim it is a lubricant and not an additive. What the he111 is this stuff? Anyone heard or had any experience with it?

I told them not to put it in. I'd rather not have the warranty than have them put something that has snakeoil written all over it? Thoughts?

BTW, I put maxlife synthetic in for the first oil change at 4,600 miles.

VeeDub,

That sound like the old time oil put out by Arco long ago when they were called Atlantic Richfield. They had motor oil that had graphite mixed with the oil that they termed "The Black Oil". It's not made anymore but those were during different times when engines were not made to tight tolerances compared to todays engines. Personally I'd just consider using a good synthetic oil like Mobil 1 or even Valvolines "Max Life" synthetic oil. Using Krex sounds like an advertising tool just to gain revenue through the dealership.

Durango
usa2.gif

I know at least one of the two Saturn dealerships in Colorado Springs Colorado used to in the past encourage customers to add Krex Graphite additive to their oil at oil change time. I don't know if they still do so or not because now there is a Saturn dealership in Pueblo Colorado. I have not been to the Saturn dealerships in Colorado Springs in quite a while. By the way, the dealership in Pueblo at least in the past encouraged customers to use BG products.

I have no idea if Krex is any good or not. It has supposedly been around since something like the 1940s.

Thanks for the comments everybody.
cheers.gif

Well, when it rains it pours. Guess what folks. I was at my VW dealership today and they have also started to offer some type of graphite lubricant and an associated warranty!!! Although it wasn't Krex (I forget the name), it sounded extremely Krex-like. So that got me wondering how many other dealerships in mid-Ohio have gone this route. Well, a simple web search showed that the local Honda, Mazda, Subaru, another VW dealership, Chevy, Chrysler, Dodge, Volvo, Jaguar, and jeep dealership are all doing it! It's becoming an epidemic.

Seems like it would be less sleazy to offer a warranty/flat tire service with Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline or your choice......

At least not an additive. Why not just use a better oil?

Seems like it would be less sleazy to offer a warranty/flat tire service with Mobil 1, Amsoil, Redline or your choice......

At least not an additive. Why not just use a better oil?

OK. So you must return to that dealer for his oil changes with Krex in order to keep the 200,000 mile dealer warranty.

Question. What happens if you take your car on vacation. What happens when you are due for an oil change, and your dealer is hundreds or thousands of miles away??

IMHO, this stuff is "Mouse Milk".

my local ford dealer tried to pawn this off on the wife a while back. she called and put the tech on the phone, and we agreed since every car I have her purchased had well over 200k with no engine(internal)problems/failures, that the oil and its additives were good enough.

I'm going to resurrect this old thread.

I recently took my 2012 Mazda MX5 to the Mazda dealer for it's first service at 5000 miles. The service adviser told me about Krex, the engine warranty and the tire warranty. I told him I did not want Krex in my car, and he said it was already in it because they put it in all new cars they sold. I told him not to put it in with the oil change, but they did anyway.

I think it is snake oil. They use Castrol Full Synthetic and add Krex. My service was free since I got a year's free maintenance as part of the deal at purchase, so I didn't bother to read the invoice until I got home. The new oil is black on the dipstick. Oh, and by the way, I will not be returning to that dealer for future service unless it is warranty related. I was a very happy customer until the Krex incident, so their marketing ploy failed this time.

Originally Posted By: cwood
I recently took my 2012 Mazda MX5 to the Mazda dealer for it's first service at 5000 miles. The service adviser told me about Krex, the engine warranty and the tire warranty. I told him I did not want Krex in my car, and he said it was already in it because they put it in all new cars they sold. I told him not to put it in with the oil change, but they did anyway.

Thanks for their information. There are a few dealers out there, including some here, that continually push additives for vehicles under warranty, despite explicit warnings against doing so in the owner's manuals.

Originally Posted By: cwood
I'm going to resurrect this old thread.

I recently took my 2012 Mazda MX5 to the Mazda dealer for it's first service at 5000 miles. The service adviser told me about Krex, the engine warranty and the tire warranty. I told him I did not want Krex in my car, and he said it was already in it because they put it in all new cars they sold.

I told him not to put it in with the oil change, but they did anyway.

If I were you I would call Mazda corporate and inform them of their refusal to refrain from adding products that the manufacturer does NOT approve of. It is possible that it could void the new car warranty.

Also go back to them and demand your money back, since what they did (adding that [censored]) amounts to potential damage to your new car.

Just looked at their website. At the top, it says, "Customer Retention Solutions." Hmmm.

Also interesting that this is something you add to your oil, but it's "NOT an additive."

Quote:

If I were you I would call Mazda corporate and inform them of their refusal to refrain from adding products that the manufacturer does NOT approve of. It is possible that it could void the new car warranty.

Also go back to them and demand your money back, since what they did (adding that [censored]) amounts to potential damage to your new car.

+1

The OP should also have the option of filling out a Customer Service Index (CSI) so you can give them the lowest score possible and bury them...

Last edited:
Haven't heard that name (Krex) for a long time. I had a 1970 Mercury I bought new and the dealer used it back then when they changed your oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back