Rejuvenating grommets and other rubber type stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been asked a question on another forum that I can't seem to find the answer to. What is the recognized product, spray or otherwise that should be used to renew/preserve old rubber grommets and the like. I've heard everything from WD-40 to Armor All to Silicone and almost an equal number of responses warning against either the products or the propellants in the products. Nothing beyond opinions so far, so I'm hoping for a bit in the way of recommendations from manufacturers or good long term results. By the way, the item in question is a 1989 Honda motorcycle.

I have a 1974 Laverda 1000 (owned since 1976) that I keep the rubber grommets, fender plugs and other bits supple by spraying every so often with Silicone. Even the tank has a thirty three year old rubber holding strap that is original and is near like new.

I also have a 1986 Porsche 911 that I spray the door seals, trunk seals and other rubber parts with excellent results.

I would think silglyde would be better then ruglyde. ruglyde seems to only be a fancy dish soap and water substitute for mounting tires.

Last edited:
I use dielectric grease. In an owner's manual for a new vehicle I bought several years ago it listed dielectric grease to use on door seals and other rubber items to protect. I've used it ever since on door seals, grommets and most all things rubber on autos, motocycles and atvs.

Dielectric grease is mostly silicone, so either it or the spray silcone would work.
They are curealls; if the rubber parts are worn or shrunk to the point of needing replacement, then replace.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
I would think silglyde would be better then ruglyde. ruglyde seems to only be a fancy dish soap and water substitute for mounting tires.

Not just soap,,,try washing your hands with it sometime.
shocked2.gif

Bob

Originally Posted By: DB_Cooper
I have a 1974 Laverda 1000 (owned since 1976) that I keep the rubber grommets, fender plugs and other bits supple by spraying every so often with Silicone. Even the tank has a thirty three year old rubber holding strap that is original and is near like new.

I also have a 1986 Porsche 911 that I spray the door seals, trunk seals and other rubber parts with excellent results.
Sorry for the dumb question
blush.gif
: is Silicone the brand name of the lube you're using, and if not, what do you use?

The can of Silicone I use for now is "STP" Silicone Spray Lubricant. Any product with a good reputation will work fine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back