Fuel Additive Research, please take short survey

Status
Not open for further replies.
In a class I am taking, I am doing a research report on fuel additives and their effect on gas mileage. It would help me tremendously if you guys can help me by sharing your experience with fuel additives. Please take the following survey and your kindness will be rewarded with DOUBLE gas mileage!! (some day) Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------------
SURVEY:

1) Name of product

2) Engine displacement & cyl (e.g. 4.3L V8)

3) Approximate percent increase or decrease in gas mileage

4) (yes/no) Was vehicle running well before using product?

5) (yes/no) Was product tested for more than 4 full tanks?

Note: You may list multiple values in Questions 2 through 5 to show different % change that corresponds to different vehicles.
But if you wish to list more than 1 product, please create a new list to avoid confusion.
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Here's mine:

1) FP Plus

2) 3.0L L6

3) 10% increase

4) Yes

5) Yes

1) Amsoil PI (new)

2) 5.8L V8, 5.0L V8

3) 5% increase, 8% increase

4) Yes, Mostly

5) Yes, Yes

1) Fuel Power 60 and 3000

2) 1.8L DOHC Inline-4

3) None noticed, way too many other variables to consider.

4) Yes.

5) Yes, been using it for almost a year now.

Last edited:
1} Volkswagen/Audi Fuel Additive 6.5oz (VW part# ZVW-239-003)

2} 2.3ltr SOHC I4

3} No MPG changes

4) Yes/No - It did help clean dirty injectors when used in consecutive tanks.

5) Yes

(in order of use)

1) Regane, RLI, Amsoil PI

2) 4.0/2.5 jeep

3) Fractional at best- drivability improvements that retreated to transparent as fuel trims realigned.

4) Apparently= but w/fuel dilution issues in UOA-degradation too subtle to notice.

5) Ragane-no - quarterly +/- treatment. RLI-YES - perpetual treatment until I ran out of it. Amsoil PI 5k treatment.

Great stuff guys! Keep em coming!! Any data will be helpful and I can use what you can give through Sunday. Your input is VERY much appreciated!!

1) Chevron-Techron, Gummout-Regane, Berrymann-B12,

2) 5.3L Chevy V8 2001

3) Non noticed, but I might if the engine was dirty before using it

4) Yes

5) Yes

1) LubroMoly-Vential Sauber

2) 3.2L Flat 6 Porsche 911 1984

3) Yes

4) Engine had many miles and it helped improve compression

5) Yes

1) 104 brand octane boost race concentrate

2) 350 Chevy small block 1969

3) unknown about milage, but it gave me more power for drag racing

4) not really

5) NO

I have also used RedLine S1 in every engine I had from cars, trucks , and motorcycles

I didn't notice any improvments in milage.

But it should be noted that I dont use these fuel addatives to gain milage, I use them to keep my motor clean so I dont lose milage.

1) Amsoil PI

2) Chevy 4.8 V8, 6.5 hp briggs & Stratton, 3 hp briggs, 7 hp briggs, 12 hp briggs, Buell 1200cc, Suzuki Drz 400, Mazda Tribute 3.0

3) Did not measure

4) (yes/no) All were running great according to their age.

5) (no) One tank each

Noticed all engines running crisper, smooth, and carbony smell coming from exhaust on small engines. Buell did not ping at all, and usually does.

Last edited:
SURVEY:

1) Name of product
2-Cycle oil at 500:1 ($.02c/Gallon)

2) Engine displacement & cyl
2.4l I-4

3) Approximate percent increase or decrease in gas mileage
+5%

4) (yes/no) Was vehicle running well before using product?
Y

5) (yes/no) Was product tested for more than 4 full tanks?
Y

1. 4 to 6 ounces of 2/3 MMO - 1/3 Lucas UCL & Injector Cleaner

2. 2.0L I4

3. +/-0%?

4. Yes

5. Yes

FP-60: FP3000

even though I drove one car 49000 miles last year, 95% highway, and tracked EVERY tankful, I cannot accurately ascribe a value to increased or decreased MPG related to use of FP. If you think you can, you aren't a scientist. Effect on efficiency is simple to figure, if you have the correct set-up. Filling your tank from an un-certified, accuracy unknown, sequential accuracy unknown "gas station", even if you used the same nozzle every time, into a vehicle where you cannot be certain is filled to the exact same level in the tank, driving in different temperatures under different wind conditions, with potential changes of tire pressure, the variability of speed, traffic, stop-lights, etc., and it would take more than my mere 49,000 miles to demonstrate a scientifically significant difference in MPG.

Used 1.5 gallons of FP-60, and I've used 0.5 gallons of FP-3000 during this time, in two different 2.5 Subarus (a 2007 Legacy which I put the 49000 miles on, the other an 06 Forester was driven 16,000 miles), and the past 53 days I've used it in every tankful of an 04 4.6l Ford engine (over 9000 miles the past 53 days).

All three run fine, always have run fine.

I use FP for fuel injector cleanliness, not for perceived or hoped-for mpg gains.

Thanks again to those who participated!

Since I consider this forum to be a rather reliable source of data, this should be plenty.

1) 1.5 oz FP+ per 15 gallons, Redline SI-1 before every oil change, tried Amsoil PI last month before change

2) 5.7L V8 LT1

3) unknown - i just changed coil, plugs, wires car running super now

4) Yes

5) currently running 1,000 mile mpg test

Lucas UCL has shown actual mpg gains for me. It varies, but enough to measure - up to 1 mpg.
In your report, consider the effects of the chemistry in any additive helping the burn process, any oil or lubricant helping with a better ring or valve seal [or less friction in those areas], or having he product make the O2 sensor read a bit differently [lie to it].
There are different means of getting better fuel economy through additional sauce in the fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back