Seafoam on a 48K-mile car

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been reading (here, and on other forums our posters have linked to) about Seafoam, and yesterday I saw it for sale at O'Reilly's. Questions:

1) My '03 Buick, 48K, appears to be well-maintained. The previous owner drove it about 11K a year, so he probably got some highway time in, not just grocery runs and the like. The car gets fine mileage for a beast its size. Would there be any reason, preventative maintenance or otherwise, for me to run it?

2) If I were going to do the intake method, I've read, the PCV valve intake would be a good place. I recall changing the PCV valve on this car back in September, and there didn't seem to be a hose connected to it. Is there one on the 3.8 GM engine? If not, what else could I use?

3) Anybody have Check Engine Lights come on, or a destroyed O2 sensor, or anything like that?

4) Did the stuff really have a lasting effect on mpg and/or power?

From what I read/hear the most common way to "ingest" Seafoam is through the brake booster line. I have read of many instances of it fouling spark plugs, and a few instances of O2 sensors being screwed up.

Pouring into the gas tank is a different story, I've done it several times to clean my fuel system (every 5000 miles). I stopped using it because I could never "feel" a difference. I have since switched to Red Line SI-1, and can tell after I've used it.

Do an oil change after doing the Seafoam treatment. The Seafoam that leaks past the rings dilutes the oil and makes it less effective.

Originally Posted By: PW01
From what I read/hear the most common way to "ingest" Seafoam is through the brake booster line. I have read of many instances of it fouling spark plugs, and a few instances of O2 sensors being screwed up.

Pouring into the gas tank is a different story, I've done it several times to clean my fuel system (every 5000 miles). I stopped using it because I could never "feel" a difference. I have since switched to Red Line SI-1, and can tell after I've used it.

Where did you purchase the Redline?

Goose

When you get to the "stall the engine" part you can sometimes set a code for lean misfire or knock. I got that once. Just cleared the code with my scan tool and went on with life. I used to use the GM top engine cleaner until that went away. I just started using the Seafoam and it seems to do the same thing. But I agree that Redline is a better in the tank cleaner than Seafoam.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back