93 plus octane- where to buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can I find out what companies sell gasoline octane higher than 93, especially here in central kentucky. I have even thought about trying over the counter octane boosters.

I have a computer chip that requires at least 91 octane. I also have knock sensors that "may" take advantage of higher octane.

FYI, I currently use Chevron Supreme 93 or Shell V-power 93 with Lucas UCL added to each fill. Car seems smoother and stronger with Lucas added. TIA

No Sunoco stations that I can find. Ky Speedway race track about 75 miles from me. Thinking about trying octane boosters. not sure which one.

See if there is a machine shop/speed shop in your area that builds race car engines. They should have a plentiful supply of high octane fuel for sale. Be ready to PAY for it, too. The last time I checked at the local speed shop in the Huntsville, AL area (back in '01), they were selling their race gas for over $5/gallon. That's when regular gas was gallon. FWIW, I think they claimed 103-105 octane on their race fuel, but there would be no way for you to know for sure what you were buying.

I saw some racing gas at a Sunoco in Virginia near Smith Mountain Lake in September.

$6+ a gallon, 103 octane.

Race Gasoline is available just about anywhere,we purchase it by the drum for our Drag Car.I occasionally get some that is Unleaded,and put a quart or two in the daily driver.Unleaded is available up to about 112 octane,it's expensive,but it's much friendlier to your engine than octane boosters.

I just saw 93 and 100 octane at the gas station I just filled up at. $4.89/gal for the 93 and $6.79/gal for the 100 octane. I did a double take when I saw that. Only at that one pump.

The manager said that he's seen it used in motorcycles, jet skis, and some cars. The 93 octane was tempting, but passed on it since 91 is still below $3.75/gal

Originally Posted By: Russell
93 octane Chevron was $3.26 here in central KY this week. Why the extra high price in CA?

Because Cali has "special" super clean burning fuel for smog prevention. It means that our fuel costs a lot more. For the most part it is almost impossible to find fuel with an octane rating of higher than 91.

Originally Posted By: Scott P
If the new chip only requires 91, why are you looking for values higher than 93?

The knock sensors in my engine can take advantage of higher octane. How high I do not know? Perhaps 91 to 93 is the upper limit. That is one reason I wanted to try higher octane fuel than 93.

BTW, the seat of the pants dyno does seem to note much difference in 91 anfd 93. Also, 93 octane is the most common here in KY. Do not see 91 as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back