UOA Yanmar (John Deere Diesel) Rotella "T" 5w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a Blackstone UOA from my John Deere (33 HP, 3 cyl Yanmar diesel)955 Compact 4wd Utility Tractor that's had nothing but Rotella "T" 5w-40 Synthetic since I got it in '01 with 140 Hrs on the clock. I normally change the oil/filter every 100 hrs or 1 year. This particular change occurred with 90 hrs on it, but, the oil had been in there for about 16 months (I was a bit lazy last fall
frown.gif
). The tractor, when used, espcially for snow-plowing and blowing (it has a 6 foot wide, rear-PTO driven Lucknow blower), gets run pretty hard, then put away wet.
frown.gif
There's always something else to do, it seems. I do try to stay on top of it maintenance-wise, as it makes life much easier when I'm trying to keep five driveways cleaned out in blizzard'ish conditions, like this week.
frown.gif
frown.gif
Darn winter - I much prefer soft, easy summertime conditions.
wink.gif

RON: This Yanmar engine is wearing well. Nothing too unusual showed up in the spectral exam. All wear read close to averages for this type of engine, which is a very good indication of normal wearing parts. Insolubles (oil oxidation due to heat, use and blow-by) were normal at 0.4%, showing good oil filtration and complete combustion. No excessive soot was present. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no fuel or coolant. The TBN read 9.8, still lots of active additive left. As of 11/22/07, the sample date, everything looks good.

UOA #1

MI/HR ON OIL: 90
MI/HR ON UNIT: 774
DATE:11-27-07

ALUMINUM: 3
CHROMIUM: 3
IRON: 14
COPPER: 1
LEAD: 1
TIN: 0
MOLY: 1
NICKEL: 0
MANGANESE: 0
SILVER: 0
TITANIUM: 0
POTASSIUM: 0
BORON:1
SILICON: 3
SODIUM: 1
CALCIUM: 3536
MAGNESIUM: 9
PHOSPHOROUS: 1111
ZINC: 1379
BARIUM: 1

SUS VISC. @210F: 66.0
Cst Visc. @100C:11.88
Flashpoint (F): 415
Fuel %: Antifreeze %: 0.0
Water %: 0.0
Insolubles %: 0.4
TBN: 9.8
TAN:
ISO Code:

COMMENTS: “CH” rated Rotella “T”

Interesting, with all the discussion about ZDDP - the UOA above is with the older version of "T" 5w-40. I also sent a sample of virgin CI-4/SL rated oil along for a test, and it showed:
Phosphorous: 837
Zinc: 974
My stash of "old" "T" is about used up - I'm wondering what to do when it's gone?

Last edited:
RWEST,

Good numbers. Yanmar builds a great engine and the Shell RTS is a "natural" for it. I don't think RTS has been reformulated to CJ specs yet, so you can buy as big a stash of CI-4 plus as you can afford.

I'm now using up the last of my supply of high sulfur diesel fuel. That, rather than the ZDDP levels you mention, has driven my desire to have CH or CI spec motor oils on hand to use in combination with high sulfur diesel. However, tomorrow I take delivery of 240 gallons of off-road dyed low sulfur diesel, so my concern over the lower TBN of the CJ spec oils is obviated.
If you are already using LSD or ULSD, then you should be in good shape even with the latest spec oil.

I think the worry over reduced ZDDP levels in "normal" applications is not justified, although I suppose only time and UOAs will tell.

Cheers, Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back