Diesel fuel - MMO & Diesel Kleen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious, I am adding to every fuel fill up..

MMO 4 oz / 10 gal
Diesel Kleen 4 oz / 15 gal

I have tried with and without in combonation and I seem to get the best mileage and smoothest runs with the above blend...Is it mind over matter or is this possible?

2006 CTD Tow mode(chip) @ 65-70 mph = 25 - 28 mpg
Performance(chip)@ 75 - 90 mph = 22 - 25 mpg
Bone stock @ 65-70 mph = 20 - 22 mph

Best is at 55 mph in any mode I get 33+ mpg, this is feathering throttle and costing rather than braking.

You must be going by the instantaneous mpg readout setting on the digital lie-o-meter in the cab.

Yesterday the overhead read 15.6 mpgs hauling a chevy suburban through the moutains in PA for 150 miles at 55mph. Hand calculated came out to 11.4 on my 05. Don't believe the overhead escepcially when you've added a programmer.

Re-hand calc this weekend....
But I will say you must remain faithful in gentle take offs and smooth acceleration (which is tuff sometimes).

The 33+ mpg was hand calculated, I did that on a 2k mile trip and this was the average on all legs between fillups (except thru mountains of Tenn and Kentucky which dropped to 28 mpg)

After this tank I am switching to Super Tech 2 cycle oil to see if the cost vs mg is anything to look at

I am having a hard time shup, maybe you have some -200 hp injectors in yours or something. Over the christmas holiday I did a total of 936 miles of pure highway and hand calculated came out to 17.11, overhead was reading 18.2 avg. I have 64k on mine with a 6spd and 35 inch tires and usually run my tst on 3/2 setting (70 hp). Plus I am dealing with winterized fuel too. The cummins runs smooth as silk on ND 30 wt or supertech 2 stroke.

I have ran Diesel Kleen since I bought my truck (01.5 Ram 2500 CTD)
Afew months back I started running a mixture of Diesel Kleen and MMO, I saw no benefits with the MMO, plus it is dyed red and around here the off road-non taxed diesel is also dyed red. I figured why take a chance on having my tank dipped.
After further research I decided to run a mix of Diesel Kleen and Supertech 2-cycle TC-W3, I have not calculated my MPG,(I mainly use the mix for anti-gelling and added lubricity) but the engine is much quieter.

I ran my first tank with Super Tech and never got better than 23.3 on overhead and 21.9 on hand calculation. Harley, is your 4wd? Around here all of the guys I run with get 16-18 with 4wd. Again I have started driving like my dad and grandpa always said, smooth excelleration....coast rather than stop fast and feather the accelerator..

I run stock everything except with a super tuner set to ;Tow' and I do not pass 2k rpm
when I travel (70 mph or less). All of my best calculations were running a K&N filter too but I have since removed to see if my silicon will drop in UOA.

The only thing I can say is that I do 'think' the truck sounded more quiet this tank than MMO & DK mix????

Mine is 4wd with 35s. On the highway I run at 1900 rpms at 74mph. My truck has a problem when driving it very easy. It will miss and stumble and then throw a 0336 camshaft code, which is most likely due to the TST or carboned injectors. If I run it hard and tow, it never does it. Because of this I tend to run it hard most of the time which in turns lowers my mileage. I've tried almost every fuel addative out there and mine runs the smoothest with non-detergent 30 wt, supertech 2 stroke, or lucas ucl.

I can say that I have tried the SuperTech 2 cycle with a Napa/Wix air filter and my mileage is headed south....Best has been a 21mpg hand calculation! I must leave this filter on till my next UOA to confirm Silicon on K&N and then I may try the Amsoil air filter and see what I get.

If I do not get any better mileage I will go back to DK & MMO with K&N....more to follow

Originally Posted By: Shup1
Just curious, I am adding to every fuel fill up..

MMO 4 oz / 10 gal
Diesel Kleen 4 oz / 15 gal

I have tried with and without in combonation and I seem to get the best mileage and smoothest runs with the above blend...Is it mind over matter or is this possible?

2006 CTD Tow mode(chip) @ 65-70 mph = 25 - 28 mpg
Performance(chip)@ 75 - 90 mph = 22 - 25 mpg
Bone stock @ 65-70 mph = 20 - 22 mph

Best is at 55 mph in any mode I get 33+ mpg, this is feathering throttle and costing rather than braking.

If that is what you are getting for mileage than I'm getting rid of my gmc and buying a dodge.......... incredible!!!!!

MILEAGE HAS SLIPPED....

I changed my air filter back to stock to reduce the Silicon levels in UOA....I say 10-12% reduction by hand calculation and by overhead.

I also am evaluating some other fuel additives and getting worse results
SuperTech 2 cycle - 1 oz/gal = 21.5mpg at 70 mph, much quieter engine at idle
100% Soybean oil - 1 oz / gal = 23.5 mpg at 70 mph, way quieter than usual at idle
Used motor oil - top shelf dino - 1 qt to tank = 20.1 mph at 70 mph

these were all evaluated on 300 mile trips with 90% hiway

cost/gallon best is probably the SuperTech

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back