Shall I stay with the PF52?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2000 Buick LeSabre

I'm going to be draining the oil this week and I've been using the PF52 for the past two OCI's. The problem is, the PF52 protrudes down passed the bottom of the oil pan by about three inches. The PF47 on the other hand is dead even with oil pan and is nicely tucked up out of the way.

I like the added filtering capacity with the PF52, but I also like the way the shorter PF47 is tucked up under the oil pan and out of the way of possible road hazards.

What should I do?
54.gif

On my old IROC, I use the old PF35 (and have been using for years), which hangs lower than the pan than the PF25. It's always bothered me; more like it's always in the back of my mind that there's the oil filter somewhat vulnerable to road hazards and my day dreaming.

The IROC is already way low to the ground in stock form (which mine is) and I've already tore up the SLP header cross over pipe more than once.

I have a few PF35's left on the shelf, along with a new PF454 and it's a shorty. I'll probably use my stash of PF35's and just be extra aware that there's something hanging low down there. Then I'll start using the new PF454 (I think that's what they call out now).

Last edited:
Merkava,

The 3800 V6s are notoriously easy on oil. Ive used the standard size filter for years, with no problems of any kind. I had the same concern with the oversize filter, and for the same reason.

Id use the PF47 filter and call it a day, Delco filters are just fine....

Bob

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
2000 Buick LeSabre

I like the added filtering capacity with the PF52, but I also like the way the shorter PF47 is tucked up under the oil pan and out of the way of possible road hazards.

What should I do?
54.gif

I have used both filters in my 3.1 without worrying about road hazards. If road hazards were a concern I'd stick with the PF 47.

I have yet to see a 3800 where the filter sticks down past the oil pan.
I've had 3.8/3800 in an 81, 98,01,05 and now an 08.
The PF52 isn't even close to the bottom of the pan.
Of course, I've only had Grand Prix and Regal size cars.
I don't think the larger bodied GMs use a different oil filter location; convince me.
My 2¢

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back