Does fuel brand matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2006 Acura TL that calls for premium gas. I always use premium gas (and Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filters also) per the specs. I see there is a lot of oil analysis on this forum and was wondering if there is a concensus on which premium brands tend to be better? Is there such a thing as "gas testing"? I did a brief search and didn't find anything so if this has been beat to death before, please forgive me. I personally use Shell premium most of the time (mostly out of habit). Thanks. Steve

I was interested to see if anyone knows of any oil filter rating sites. I found a site where oil filters were examined and discussed but I would like to find where actual brands of filters are tested against each other for effeciency, filtration, longesvity etc.

Originally Posted By: sheerinator
I was interested to see if anyone knows of any oil filter rating sites. I found a site where oil filters were examined and discussed but I would like to find where actual brands of filters are tested against each other for effeciency, filtration, longesvity etc.

Hah, good luck, there are only two amateur studies on the web that have been discussed in many car forums, Spicer's was one of them and he may still have his web page up, but I lost the link.
Look in the filter forum here and go back and read as far back as you can get to and there is some discussion on all the things you mention and how to find data that is published.

Originally Posted By: cristphoto
I have a 2006 Acura TL that calls for premium gas. I always use premium gas (and Mobil 1 synthetic oil and Mobil 1 filters also) per the specs. I see there is a lot of oil analysis on this forum and was wondering if there is a concensus on which premium brands tend to be better? Is there such a thing as "gas testing"? I did a brief search and didn't find anything so if this has been beat to death before, please forgive me. I personally use Shell premium most of the time (mostly out of habit). Thanks. Steve

The only thing I can say is start with "Top Tier" gas and start reading. Shell is a top tier producer.
Look up posts from fueltankerman and learn how gas is distributed. Learn about the requirements of gas for your geographical location. Different areas seem to have different ones that are better. State testing varies from state to state.

cristphoto,

If you want to argue the science of making gas according to the "weights and measures" gasoline is basically all the same regardless of the brand except for the brands individual gas additives.
As long as the octane rating is what you need then it should be fine.

Durango

Originally Posted By: Durango

cristphoto,

If you want to argue the science of making gas according to the "weights and measures" gasoline is basically all the same regardless of the brand except for the brands individual gas additives.
As long as the octane rating is what you need then it should be fine.

Durango

Wellll, the additives ARE what makes the difference. Accumulated carbon is harder to remove than using depsoit inhibiting gasoline.

all gas is the same but the additives need alot to be desired the tanker adds only 1 gal.of additive to the whole tanker so its a must to add a good PEA (poly ether amine) to your gas every fill up to get any kind of benifit..i learned that shell cleans well but it also leaves alot of deposits not sure about this..chevron has alot of PEA in the gas....you can use redline si-1,bg's 44k and cf-5,chevron's techron additive all of these has alot of PEA content.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back