Is Gumout Fuel Injector Cleaner junk?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought a bottle tonight to run through my 2004 Vue with 120K on the engine (Honda 3.5)...has been showing some slight hesitation and this is the first step before moving on to other stuff....I bought a bottle of the made for over 75K engines variety...read that a lot of the ingredients might be JP5?? Jet Fuel? Really? Household cleaners.com or something like that...give chem ingredients to a lot of things

In any event.....is using this stuff a waste to clean injectors? I just grabbed what was on the endcap at Pep Boys

Better suggestions (stuff I can buy at local stores please...no FP)

Goose

Amsoil PI is probably the strongest stuff you can buy.

I've used the GUMOUT a few times on the Saturn when it was FREE and I don't recall it making a difference, but I don't remember which version I used.

I heard that it's one of the strongest ones on the market right now, at least based upon what I read in a thread on here a while ago.

You really want more thaan an injector cleaner. I would use the large bottle of TECHRON FUEL SYSTEM CLEANER. THE SYSTEM CLEANER IS STRONGER AND ALSO CLEAN INTAKE VALVES AND COMBUSTION CHAMBERS. jmo. Ops sorry about the cap & too lazy to retype. Ed

You didn't waste your money on the gummout, but I think (without proof) that Chevron Techron is better because GM, Porsche, Mercedes Benz, and BMW recomend it. Those companies probably didn't test Amsoil PI because it's not available at any parts store.

The only Gumout that is good is REGANE. All the others are weak junk. You want the product with the highest amount of PEA in it. In order.

Redline SI-1: It has the most PEA 40-50% I believe. It is easily found in Pepboys still. AAP and AZ seemed to have stopped stocking it. Has an upper cylinder lube in it. Best stuff over the counter IMO.

Gumout Regane: 30-50% PEA. Great cleaner! Does not have an upper cylinder lube though.

Chevron Techron Concentrate: Its not known exactly what level of PEA, some estimate is at ~30-35%. It is over priced in my opinion. Unless you can get it BOGO.

Haven't heard it talked about much, but I also found CRC Guaranteed To Pass emission cleaner that lists 25-35% PEA in the MSDS. It was recommended to me by a random guy who saw me checking out the emissions stuff, probably a BITOGer on his way to the oil aisle.
grin2.gif
It seems to sell out pretty quickly at Canadian Tire, maybe there's something to it. I bought one, will try it out in a few months for my smog test.

If you're going to use REGANE ..use the "Complete" fuel system cleaner. Never saw anything with Techron or Seafoam in terms of drivability. They seemed to do okay on relieving knock. I never used the $10 Techron Concentrate though.

I'd put it a bit behind Amsoil PI for a periodic fuel system treatment but a very good off the shelf product.

I'll look for the Red Line stuff...funny, I bought the Gumout at Pep Boys and did not see the RL product

Goose

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back