Lube Corp. octane booster

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I recently added a serving of Lube Corp.'s octane booster to my fuel (99 Silverado). Within a couple of days my "Check engine" light came on. I had the code scanned and it came back as a multiple, random cylinder misfire (it sounds scary but I haven't experienced any decrease in performance whatsoever). The light went off after a few days and stayed off for a couple days. It is now back on (I am still on the tank of gas with the additive). I am just kind of interested to know if anyone else has experienced a similar situation with a fuel additive of some sort. I am only speculating that this particular additive is repsonsible for the engine code and I don't want to start any rumours that this product is in any way harmful.

http://www.lubecorp.com/product_display.php?id=30

Sean
----

You could start by pulling several plugs and looking for deposits that might be indicative of a misfire. If it ain't that, then your fuel additive might have dislodged some gunk in your fuel tank. In that case, you could use one of the well-known fuel cleaners and run them full strength through your system.

Hey,

Thanks for the response! That is kind of what I was thinking. I noticed that it said on the bottle to check your fuel filter so perhaps it dislodged something like you mentioned.

Thanks,
Sean
----

If the additive played a role, it is more likely that it contributed to plug fouling. Sometimes such fouling will clean up with driving, especially aggressive driving.

The old "Italian Tune-Up" consisted of running the engine up to a speed and load to generate a miss, then back off slightly for a moment or so. Then bring it up again and again until the plugs clear up. Generating cylinder temperatures close to the misfire point cleans up the fouling, most of the time. It works for all but the worst fouling conditions. It doesn't work for worn plugs.

I imagine that you have some equivalent to an MSDS in Canada ..but I could find no reference to a like document on their site. I was hoping to get some indication of the carriers they were using. The page mentions "Lower Octane Requirement by reducing combustion chamber deposits" ..so there has to be something removing them.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back