Seansonal gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
What makes a winter fuel or a summer fuel as far as additives are concerned? Are there any negative affects if you use winter gas in the summer and vise versa?

No.
Winter Gas here in Canada just evaporates easier resulting in quicker starts in cold weather. Winter Gas is only sold by PetroCanada here in my town.

You should try the differnt gas company websites and see what they say.

try, Chevron, Shell, Union 76, Conoco, etc

The gas has a different volitility (sp?) in summer and winter.

My understanding is that gas is reformulated about once a week. They look at the location of where the gas will be sold, it's temperature in the next 2 weeks, the humitity and altitude. Then they also look at whether there is enough air movment to disapate the smog. There is probably more to it then that.

Winter gas runs like [censored] in the summer, but summer gas acts something like higher octane in the winter. But that doesn't help your motor. It's better to use what the auto Manufacturer says to use and always buy fresh gas.

Last edited:
From my Shell training Many years ago, all gasoline is seasonally adjusted about every six weeks.

Winter fuel is blended to start easier during cold weather. More light ends go into the blend. This increases vapor pressure.

Use of winter blended fuel in summer may contribute to vapor lock, which is nearly a thing of the past with today's fuel injection systems. It does raise havoc with vapor control smog systems. It also tends to lower octane, which I can attest to as we have a lot of warm (even hot) winter days in southern California. I have experienced mild ping on such days never noticed at other times.

The use of summer fuel may result in hard starting or no starting in cold weather.

My fuel economy took a nose dive lately. More than other winters. I know it's the fuel.
I wonder if more alcohol is being added around here.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
My fuel economy took a nose dive lately. More than other winters. I know it's the fuel.
I wonder if more alcohol is being added around here.

Probably so, I know my FE went down also when the switch here was made to 10% ethanol gas and my cel comes on about once a tank because of the fuel. Go outside the 4 county area and get real gas again, no more CEL. I hate this [censored] gas.

My brother drives up here from Texas often, and can attest that the alcohol fuels around Chicago hurt economy and performance.

winter blend is [censored]. i take a 15-20%MPG hit in all my gas vehicles. in fact i take less of a hit with winter diesel.

i thought it was suppose to reduce emissions in cold temp as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back