Anything to do before mounting used tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ended up with a free matching set of 4 Goodyear Wrangler RT/S OWL tires for Dad's Sierra. I would put them on my Silverado, but I have a brand new set of Michelins in the garage waiting to go on.

These have about 70% tread left on them. Why someone replaced them, I don't know. The tread is worn evenly, and there aren't any punctures or any sort of damage to any of the tires. With a new set of tires at $500+, these will do nicely for at least a year, for just the cost of mounting and balancing.

My only fear is that one of the tires may be bad, but one new tire is cheap compared to replacing four.

I've throughly examined them, and can't find a thing...no punctures (repaired or not), no cuts, nothing. Before mounting them up, should I scrub the beads of the tired with a stiff scrub brush and some Dawn dish detergent and hot water?

Anything else to do?

Check the beads where the rim flange meets the tire and make sure that the tire bead is not compromised in any way, this could lead to a tire separation or catastrophic failure translated a blowout. otherwise all should be well. the care taken when dismounting the tire is a primary consideration for future use.ripped beads mean no further utility.observe rotational diff for uni-directional tires if necc.

Also check the date code.

Look for the letters "DOT". Nearby you will find a series of number and letters - 10 to 12 digits long. You want the last 3 or 4.

If it says "439" Then the tires were produced the 43rd week of 1999 (or 1989 or 1979).

If it says "2203", the tire was produced the 22nd week of 2003.

You don't want a tire in service that is older than 10 years. And if you live in a hot climate (CA, AZ, NV, NM. TX. or FL), you don't want a tire older than 6 years (and that would count where these tires came from). But if you live further north and those states - well it's somewhere in between 6 and 10 years.

They might just not have liked them. Wranglers are standard on a lot of F150's and are terrible. They wear fast and they are noisy.

Sorry, I saw the title and couldn't help it...

Dinner, a movie ??

...pervert.
LOL.gif

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
They might just not have liked them. Wranglers are standard on a lot of F150's and are terrible. They wear fast and they are noisy.

These have tread... which is something that the tires on his truck now *don't* have.

We're talking about running them until this time next year. Not a long term committment.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Sorry, I saw the title and couldn't help it...

Dinner, a movie ??

LOL.gif
LOL.gif

Now that you mentioned it, I think some cuddling would be in order, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back