Mono vs Multigrade HDEO

Status
Not open for further replies.
In another post I said that I was considering trying a monograde hdeo for my jeep CRD. I have been very interested in the discussion about the monograde and multigrade oils. I have access to shell products close by where I live. I went to the Shell Website to compare their specs on their Rotella oils. I was very suprised to see IF I interpreted the data corectly, that their mulitgrade oils were "thicker" @ 100 c than the strait grade oils. I will try to post what I found.

All below are for the Rotella products:

100c flash pour point

SAE 30 10.9 252c -18c

Sae 40 14.4 238c -15

5-40syn. 15.0 222c -40

15w40cj 15.5 204c -40

10w30cj 12.1 204c -40

Are the numbers that are posted for the 100c a lot of difference in thickness? It seems like it is. I was considering trying a straight 30 for the three summer months but since my engine calls for xx-40 it looks like the 30 weight would be too thin, and even the straight 40 weight is thinner than the multigrades. Wow, there's a lot for me to consider. All comments appreciated.

Originally Posted By: turbowhine
In another post I said that I was considering trying a monograde hdeo for my jeep CRD. I have been very interested in the discussion about the monograde and multigrade oils.

In no way am I denigrating those who are presently taking a second look at single grade oils. When you consider that there are at least some 30wts that can also legitimately be classified as 10w30, then the arguments of which is best start to become a little blurred, at least to me. VII's like other additives used by PCMO and HDEO suppliers are evolving/improving constantly. Think you'll be hard pressed to find an engine failure attributed to the use of VII's!

With that said, in your Northern clime, I personally would be much more comfortable in using a multigrade year round with no worries of a seasonal change. Simply change based on manufacturers mileage recommendations - or a little sooner if you tend to get nervous!

cool.gif

Levi,
Thanks for your response. I certainly did get a very good UOA with my last oil change using a multigrade 15w40. I will always use a multigrade when the weather begins to cool. I am just considering the monograde for my summer oil, especially when I looked at the flash point of the monograde vs the multigrade. I have a turbo. I was just suprised at the viscosity differences and was wondering about that. Thanks again.
joe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back