195/65 R 15 - pressure for BMW E30 323i (1983ish)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gents,
doesn't have the tyre placard, nor standard size tyres.

Currently running 32/36 F/R, and seems OK...understeer coming in, and a little transition on acceleration.

Any better suggestions on pressures ?

OE spec is 29/32; something like that for normal, marginally loaded applications, more for sustained high speed or heavy loading. Ill look on my drive to work and tell you for sure later.

That said, for highway driving, Ive generally pumped them up to 30/34ish, or even 32/36 (around the fully loaded spec pressure). The problem is that the car will ride like a buckboard if you have lousy roads - forget understeer/oversteer. Youll feel a lot translating through.

I'd suggest trying first to lower your felta front to rear - set the rears to 33 or 34, ad see how it responds. If that doesnt work, Id not go lower than 30 PSI for the rears, so start adding to the front.

I had heard from one person that 33 all around works well, but Ive never tried it.

JMH

Thanks JMH,
Suspsension is non standard, so it's pretty billy cartish to start with.

Might drop the back a little.

Won't most of the satisfaction come from the effort involved in getting it "Just Right"?
wink.gif

Bob

According to Tire Guides, BMW 323's were in the 1999 to 2000's, while a 1983 was a 320.

Assuming you have the year right, Tire guides says the original tire was a 185/70R13 inflated to 28 front / 28 rear.

That means a 195/65R15 with 29 / 32 actually has more load carrying capacity, so dialing the pressure back is an option.

Capriracer,
It's an E30 323i leaded version, no cats, no O2 monitors.

Spare is 195/60 VR14, on an original 14"rim.

They sold different versions all over the world.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Capriracer,
It's an E30 323i leaded version, no cats, no O2 monitors.

Spare is 195/60 VR14, on an original 14"rim.

Was that the OEM size? If so, why are you running tires that are 7.6% taller?

Came with the car.

Speedo is spot on according to GPS, so previous owner must have adjusted it somehow.

Well, actually, speedos on most BMWs read 5-10% high by design, so by installing taller tires, he was actually able to bring it closer to 0%.

I wish there was an easy way to adjust the speedo on my car. When I'm doing 70mph, it actually shows 75mph. I don't know why, but it ticks me off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back