How brave would you be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the scenario:

Vehicle: 2000 VW GTI 1.8T, 4-speed automatic, 105k miles

Current oil fill: Mobil 1 High Mileage 10w40, AAP Total Grip oil filter

Miles on oil/filter: 6500

Time on oil/filter: 2 months

Driving style: 140 miles per day, 100% highway & interstate 70-80 mph, 5-6 days/week

Two previous UOA's of M1 "Euro formula" 0w40 of 5k & 6.5k miles respectively showed very low,
Question: Change the oil now or go longer? If longer, and you were the owner, how far would you push it?

FWIW, either way, I'm using Non-VW502-spec, "too thin for the VW 1.8T" PP 10w30 when I change the oil.

Negative, Tower. For the sake of accuracy, VW's recommended service interval is 5K for this vehicle; however, I've almost always gone over that. I rack up miles rather quickly. Over.

With your type of driving and previous UOAs on a related oil I would feel real comfortable with 10k miles.

Maybe do a UOA then and decide if you should run it longer next time based on the UOA results. I expect the UOA results will say your should run it longer.

You're right, I was thinking about the 2.0L NA and the new 2.0T.

Either way, I still think that 10k would be fine considering the circumstances.

I tend to agree with both of you guys about going 10k miles. I just wanted to see if I was neglecting to consider anything important.

On a completely unrelated note, I found out a few weeks ago that I have a torn boot on the drivers side halshaft (axle), on the inboard (transmission) side. By the looks, the boot has been torn for quite a while. I'll be replacing the entire halfshaft assembly soon. I'm not excited about that expense.

OUCH. Family member just replaced the same on a 2000 Subaru...315.00 at the dealership...not as bad as I thought. I would have done it myself, I wonder how much just the shaft and parts cost.

Quote:
FWIW, either way, I'm using Non-VW502-spec, "too thin for the VW 1.8T" PP 10w30 when I change the oil.

Did you get bitten by the thin bug Wayne? Why the PP 10W-30?

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Quote:

Did you get bitten by the thin bug Wayne? Why the PP 10W-30?

Nah, I haven't been bitten by the thin bug. I've run PP 10w30, as well as other non VW approved oils (even 5w30 ST dino), in this car before, with no apparent ill effects. My version of the 1.8T only produces 150 HP, so with my driving style, the type of oil I use probably doesn't matter much, as long as I change it regularly.

I don't think sludge or coking will ever be a problem for me, regardless of oil used, assuming it is API SL/SM. If I had the 180 HP version of the 1.8T, or if my engine was modified for more HP, I would feel different about my oil choices.

Originally Posted By: 02zx9r
10K + based on uoa and how far you want to push it

I'm willing to go to 10k on this run, based on 2 previous UOA's, but I will not be getting a UOA this time.

I have to be contrary. I wouldn't stretch OCI's on a turbo engine regardless of driving style. But I'm an old fogey.

Quote:
Family member just replaced the same on a 2000 Subaru...315.00 at the dealership...not as bad as I thought. I would have done it myself, I wonder how much just the shaft and parts cost.
That's not too bad. Subaru OEM reman axle would be about $180-$220 depending on what dealer you buy from. The front right inner is the most likely one to fail on soobs of that age as it right near the exhaust; I have a 2000 Outback and replaced that axle earlier this year.

The wear metals are settling out in the sludge -- that's why the UOA's look so good.
27.gif

At that mileage rate you should be able to find an oil filter combo that can handle 4-6 months (12k-18k). Assuming you have no fuel issues or otherwise ..and you're not hammering the thing, I think it would be easy..turbo or not. I think your selection would be based on how often you want to service it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back