Oil Recommendation for 1991 BMW 735iL Summer Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, Is there some reason that BMW (European Engines) use a thicker oil than North American Engines?

I have a 1991 BMW 735iL with 90,000 KM on it; this car has never seen a winter. The owners manual suggested to use 15W40 for the temperatures -5F to 90F and 20W50 for 15F to 120F) I have been using Castrol RX Super 15W40 until I lost my source for it. This is a diesel oil API rated CH-4, CG-4, CF-4 CF/SJ. I don't know what these ratings mean, but it does say that the oil can be used in gas or diesel engines. I do not want to be bothered with synthetic oil due to the cost, and the fact that this car is only used about 10,000 KM per year in the summer only. I only change the only once per year.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Id pick a good quality 5w-40 and use it year round. Works great.

Delvac 1 is easier to get up there, at least used to be (sold at wal marts), rotella syn s what Ive been using in my E30 with good success. Schaeffer's 5w-40 is also good stuff.

JMH

I am not using it in winter because of the oil, I intend to keep the BMW long term and it is rust free.. I have a 4X4 truck for winter use. I was thinking of a straight 40 weight for summer use

The 15w-40 HDEO will do just fine. it is what I normally use in my old E30. Mine has the same type charts for temperature and viscosity. I've used Chevron Delo and Rotella, with no noticeable difference between the two.

If you are concerned about starting in really cold winter temperatures, a 5w-40 might be a good idea. It depends on how you feel about synthetic oil, though (and on the whole thick vs. thin oil debate). But since you aren't driving in the winter, that doesn't sound like it would be an issue.

I've used 10w-30 before in it, with no apparent difference, other than a little seepage in the area between where the oil filter meets the oil cooler lines.

Bluestream. First, your car must be real nice. For your
oil selection, go to Walmart and buy the Castrol Tection
15w40 if you want to stick with Castrol.I think this oil is the
upgrade from the RX. Another great oil is Shell Rotella 15w40
available at Canadian Tire stores. I just finished my Auto RX
rinse cycle with the Rotella 15w40 in my Bimmer.

The car is real nice. My dad bought it new in 1991, and only used it on sunny days. He left it to me in 2003 with 48,000KM on it. I don't think anyone had ever sat in the back seat. I decided to use it more at least in the summer. The undercarriage looks like new and the fastners still have shine.

CT has Mobile 1 on sale for $3.75 a liter (after the rebate) I can also get Valvoline Blue Extreme 0W40 for $3.75 at TSC Stores. These are both group III, ans as long as I get a 40 weight, they should both work. That's a good price for Canada, and it's not much more than the Dino oils like Rotella T 15W40 for $2.75 Liter

Last edited:
Yearly oil changes? I'd spend the extra $$ at Walmart on Rotella 5W40 or M1 5W40 / 10W40 synthetic.
Or run a DIY synblend since BMW's take between 6-8qts.

To clarifly, I change the oil and filter with a cheapo 10W30 when I put the car away in the fall. In the Spring I drive a few thousand KM, and then change to the 15W40 in late May when the weather gets hot. So I guess this is actully two changes per year. I just bought 6L of GC 0W30 and 6L of M1 0W40 so I expect that these should be good for one year OCI given the 8-10K Kilometers per year of use summer only.

I just changed the oil with some left-overs: 4 Liters of Syntec 10W30 and 1 liter of GC. Strange mix, but I wanted to use them up...

Last edited:
You might find GC or M1 0W40 to be a bit thin? But you probably don't deal with desert-like summer temps so if the valves don't sound clattery then you should be fine. And your mpg's might go up a little bit over a 15W40.
5qt sump or larger? I think that OCI should be ok.

Not sure why you would think that a M1 0W40 is too thin? It is a 40 weight. You are correct the sump is 5.75 Liters. I will need to and some GC (I guess) before fist use; like I said I had some oil that need to be use, and made the best blend I could think of.

Thanks for all your replies. For reading on this web site I think the best oils in a 15W40 dino are: Pennzoil Long Life, Shell Rotella T, Chevron Delo 400, or Mobil Delvac. For this car in a syntetic: M1 0W40 or GC

If it were my car & I wanted to stay with a robust non-syn oil, I'd use Delvac 1300 Super 15W-40. (Doesn't Petro Canada have a decent 15W-40?) And I'd change it only once per year, just before I put it away for the winter.

But, based on my experience with synthetics, I don't see ever going back to using non-syn oils again.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1.aspx
M1 0W40 is a "40wt" but it isn't as thick as a 5W40 or 15W40 @ 100ºC. In my usage it's been noisier than GC and seems to shear down. iirc, there are UOA's that show how M1 0W40 shears to a 30wt and GC thickens to a thin 40wt. Maybe it's better now but I've just been using my remain stash of 0W40 as a thick 30wt for our Jeep.
I think BMW LL-98 oils tend to be 5W40's and between 14-15cst @ 100ºC. And LL-01 oils are between 11-14cst @ 100ºC.
I believe you'd want to use the older BMW LL-98 spec for maximum engine longevity. But if an LL-01 oil doesn't sound clatter or burn oil then run it.

Syntec product info
http://www.castrol.com/liveassets/bp_int..._syntec_usa.pdf

quote=gtx510]I think BMW LL-98 oils tend to be 5W40's and between 14-15cst @ 100ºC. And LL-01 oils are between 11-14cst @ 100ºC.
I believe you'd want to use the older BMW LL-98 spec for maximum engine longevity. But if an LL-01 oil doesn't sound clatter or burn oil then run it.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info. I really only bought the M1 0W40 because it was dirt cheap after a store sale and coupon discount.

Where can I get some info on the BMW LL-01 Spec and what oil they recommended for older BMW's? The search feature here is horrible...[

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back