Formula Shell clean engine formula ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I popped in my local discount type store today & saw the white bottle with the shell logo & grabbed up a case of what I thought was Shell " Rotella " which I use in my restored Mustang.
Got home & realized it wasnt the Rotella but "Formula Shell Clean Engine Formula" { man, they use the same bottles allmost, color ect. }
Anyways, any reviews on this oil, it was 1.79 a quart, { LOL, shouldve tipped me right off it wasnt the rotella by the cheap price }.
Thanks & hello, I'm one of those guys that pops in from time to time but have been a member for a while
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
it's probably a lot like Pennzoil.

Nope. Totally different formulas. Still a good oil, though.

GROUCHO MARX, take a guess
What are you expecting?

Chances are, their synthetic won't be any lesser performance than their conventional

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GROUCHO MARX
it's probably a lot like Pennzoil.

Closer to QuakerState, but regardless, a decent oil.

Lately i've seen 5 qt jugs of Shell Formula dino oil on sale at my local AutoZone. All they had was 10w30 though... Still a great bargin oil.

Thanks for the replys, for the money it's becoming a fovorite oil of mine allready for my old pickup truck @ least & a homebrew Synthetic/Dino mix I go for with my Mustang.
Now I'll see how she seems to perform ....
I Googled this Shell clean formula & the 1.79 I paid seems a very good price, it seems to run from about 2 bucks to 2.45 I saw it @ Wallgreens I believe..
Oh well, thanks again for the info

From what I understand, the three lubrication development divisions (Shell, QS, Pennzoil) within Shell are operated as discrete units and share virtually nothing and are in fact encouraged to compete with each other. Thus, you can almost be certain that with very few exceptions (like Pennzoil LL 15w40 and Shell Rimula sharing nearly identical formulas) Pennzoil, Shell, and Quaker State are vastly different oils.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back