How long must a block heater be plugged in for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: byez
I guess it depends on how cold it is but how long does it take to actually make a difference? Would leaving it plugged in overnight cause any coolant breakdown?

The puny little 100-200 watt block heater is not capable of producing the temperatures that the engine produces during normal operation. You can't hurt the coolant with a block heater.

I leave mine plugged-in over night on the few really cold nights we get here in Southern Ontario. In colder parts of Canada, the engines are either running, or the block heater is plugged-in; nothing in between.

I have found that plugging the heater in for even 2 hours makes quite a difference. You could put it on a timer to turn on perhaps 2 - 3 hours before your first start in the morning.

In my experience, if you know it's going to be cold enough overnight to warrant the block heater, it's best to just plug it in as soon as you've parked the car/truck for good. That way the block heater is keeping the coolant warm, not trying to warm up ice cold coolant.

I would get one with a thermostat and set it up on a timer so it came on a few hours before you use the vehicle.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN
In my experience, if you know it's going to be cold enough overnight to warrant the block heater, it's best to just plug it in as soon as you've parked the car/truck for good. That way the block heater is keeping the coolant warm, not trying to warm up ice cold coolant.

That's exactly what I do when the real cold weather hits here. Only need to do it for 5 or 10 nights a year.

I use a timer and have it turn on 2-3 hours before I have to leave in the morning. This is when it is -20 degrees Celsius and colder. Use a timer and save energy!

Until you start it?
LOL.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back