SI1 + FP60 + FPPlus = soft lucas bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.
This was an odd find for me today.

I had some FP60, FPPlus in Lucas UCL quart bottles since its easy to measure with. Well I wanted to clean out some shelf space and mixed like 6oz FP60 to 8oz of FPPlus. And just to get a bit more space I dumped about 7oz of Redline SI-1 into the same quart.

Been in there for like 3 weeks or so. Been running the car with a mix of it in each tank and the Vic is running like gangbusters.

BUT....today I was dusting around and noticed that bottle looked dented or "sucked in". There is only about 1.5 inches of the mixture in the bottle remaining but the area in contact with it is pretty soft! I don't understand what happened. Lucas UCL is a type 2 bottle that sound resist this stuff. None of these cleaners alone cause this, but together they deffinately have a bad effect.

Is it possible there was some sort of chemical reaction and they became a much more aggressive mix?

When you say "type 2," do you mean HDPE 2? If you use Nalgene's chemical resistance database, it says HDPE is susceptible to alot of things one might find in automotive chemicals. I propose that what you are observing is not the result of a chemical reaction, but perhaps there are two or more compounds in the mix which act as synergists in attacking HDPE... but I am neither a polymer chemist nor an organic chemist.

Yes its HDPE type 2.

I am not a chem major either, my major is information science haha. I too am guessing that the mix has created something that is going after the plastic. I know I am not using that mix in the car again. If it eats through HDPE, I am not sure I want it in the fuel system.

I have been using a mix of FP 3000 or FP Plus, RLI Biosyn Fuel Injector Cleaner and Lucas UCL. 4oz. of each mixed together once a week in my three older cars with no issues at all. All three cars running fine so far with this mix and have noticed increased mpg in all three. I have noticed with the FP 3000 that the bottle wanted to sink in over time but never leaked.

Both my FP60 and FPPlus gallons sink in as well. But the lucas bottle is soft where the mix touched it. The mix did seem to work great though in the car. Mileage went up to, I was pulling 16mpg or so and now I am close to 20mpg. I drive the same route the same number of days.

Cold weather gave it more kick but hurt the mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back