75W GL4?

Status
Not open for further replies.
fwiw, Silkolene makes a very nice 75 weight gear oil. I use it in my 350Z. Only reason I looked into it was because Quaiffe told me to use Silkolene in their diff, and I figured I'd give their gear oil a shot in the tranny as well. Silkolene U.K. advised me to try the SRG75, it's GL-4, in the tranny. So far I'm very hapy with it- excellent shifting over the notoriously bad stock feel, especially when it's cold. UOA will be done at 12,000 miles. Which means I have 6 mo to go still.

Will

At $21/qt, the OE fluid would be a better deal. Surely it would not cost that much.
crazy2.gif

I'm still trying to get to the dealer to pick up a bottle just to read what it says. I seriously doubt it will tell me much of anything, Toyo stuff is usually packaged in a pretty generic manner. It may take an e-mail to corp to clear things up, or a VOA on the stuff (as was already suggested).

Most majors like shell mobil etc have GL-4 rated Industrial
Gear oils, a 90 wt would be a ISO 220.

So look for Chevron Meropa 220 or Shell Omala 220 or Exxon Mobilgear 630.
bruce

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Pablo
I'm not even sure what a "75W" is. There really is no such animal IMHO.

http://www.lubrizol.com/products/automotive-gear-oil/J306.asp

Lots of car companies and gear oil companies play fast and loose with these names. In my world, 75W only means as stated on the chart.......and no max viscosity. It makes no sense.

Pablo

75W is real the max vis is not listed cause you still have to meet the low PP of -40F so depending on base stock used the
heaviest it can be is ?? never looked cause when you get thicker you loose the low end temp and that moves you up to a 80W or so.
bruce

Below is the response I received from Toyota concerning the fluid (my inquiry e-mail is below the response):

"We appreciate the opportunity to address your inquiry.

We do not recommend a mileage interval to replace the manual transmission fluid as the 75W GL4 Fluid is a long life fluid. The fluid should be inspected and replaced if needed. Unfortunately, The GL4 Fluid is not sold in quartz. If you would like to purchase the fluid in quartz we would suggest you purchase the GL5 Fluid from your local dealership. Unfortunately, we do not have info on the MSDS for the Toyota Fluids. We wouldn't recommend storing the fluid as it can be purchased new from a dealership.

If you have any further questions or comments, call us toll free at 1-866-70-SCION or by email at Contact Us.

Scion Customer Experience

Customer 11/09/2007 03:06 PM

Sir or Madam,

I recently purchased a 2008 Scion xD. According to the manual, there is no recommendation for changing the manual transmission fluid. It does state however, that if you do choose to replace the fluid, to use a 75W GL4 rated fluid. At the present, no one makes specifically a 75W GL4 fluid. What I am looking for, if possible, is the MSDS on Toyota Genuine Manual Transmission Gear Oil LV API GL4 SAE 75W fluid. I would also like to know if this fluid is available in a quart size or is it only available from the dealer from their bulk gear oils? I know this vehicle is a Scion but Toyota fluid is specifically mentioned.

Thank you in advance for your assistance."

Wow, what a vague response: "Long life fluid" ... "replace if needed."
smirk2.gif

I wonder if Toyota knows the difference between quartz and quarts? :???:

The fact Toyota recommends a GL-4 means to stay away from any product rated for a GL-5, such as Mobil 1 75W-90. Otherwise your synchros could be affected

There can be confusion in finding the correct viscosity, as most GL-4's out there are heavy duty transmission fluids. In that use, they are rated in motor oil viscosity, not in gear oil viscosity: for example, a synthetic 50 heavy duty gear oil is approximately equal to a 70-80 gear oil

I used a similar product in the 5 speed for my 1990 Toyota 4Runner:

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/P...on_Fluid_50.asp

I hope this helps

http://www.high-impact.net/transmission_and_gear/nv4500.htm

Additional Info: Here is the response to an inquiry that was sent to Castrol USA about where to get Castrol Syntorq in Europe: "Castrol TAF-X 75W-90 GL-4 gear oil is made in the U.K. and sold only in Europe. However, the equivalent in the U.S. is Syntorq LT. Having said that, Syntorq LT SAE 75W-85, API GL -4 is a premium high performance, synthetic gear lubricant for synchronized manual transmissions. The all new "clean slate" approach enables Syntorq LT to provide consistent performance and durability under the most severe operating conditions due to its unique polymer free formula. It has been designed primarily as a problem solving gear lubricant for manual transmissions to provide reduced gearshift effort at low temperatures. Syntorq LT is available through General Motors (Part #12346190) and Chrysler (Part #4637579) dealerships. Please contact your local dealership."

Noticed your owners manual specified LV 75w GL-4 for (LV being light viscosity), so this might be what you need.

http://www.torcoracingoils.com/products/productview.aspx?id=e4ed8abb-6d43-4c67-9322-f6eca3591760

MTF MANUAL TRANSMISSION FLUID
>>Description
MTF is a special light viscosity, low friction oil with superior load carrying and wear protection properties. It is formulated using the highest quality petroleum base stocks and unique additive systems that focus on thermal stability, shear stability and shock load protection. MTF is treated with anti-oxidation, anticorrosion and anti-foam to reduce fluid degradation and increase life of all drive components.

>>Features
>Superior load carrying and wear protection
>Improves power throughput
>Quicker shifts and smooth operation
>Superior shock load and extreme pressure
wear protection
>Excellent anti-rust and corrosion protection

>>Application
MTF can be used in manual transmissions, transaxles and transfer cases where an ATF or GL-4 light viscosity oil is recommended (for axles with spiral bevel gears operating under moderate to severe conditions). Highly recommended for racing and performance street applications.
MTF is specifically recommended by Mercury Marine® for use in the MC Six Dry Sump Outdrives.
Improves power efficiency and rust protection for outdrive units.
MTF also exceeds performance requirements for Lenco® transmissions.
MTF is formulated to Torco’s proprietary race specific additive technology.
Exceeds API GL-4 performance requirements. Intended for performance and racing applications.

>>Typical/Test Data
Description ASTM# MTF
Appearance Visual CL/Amber
API Gravity D-287 30.1
Lbs/Gal Tables 7.29
Specific Gravity @ 15.6/15.6°C D-1298 0.8756
Viscosity @ 100°C D-445 8.35
Viscosity @ 40°C D-445 53

Viscosity Index D-2270 135
Pour Point, °C D-97 -20
Flash Point, °C D-92 210
Fire Point, °C D-92 220