Lucas UCL or FP Plus

Status
Not open for further replies.
While each appear to be better than using nothing, I can't tell any difference between the two.
twocents.gif

Thank you for your input. If there is little difference I will most likely stick with the Lucas UCL. It is available almost everywhere. Even Wal-Mart carries the larger size.

I am still interested in hearing other posters opinions on these two products.

I just put 5 oz. of Lucas UCL in the Escape for the first time yesterday. I'll let you know if I see any difference!

By the way.... the viscosity of the Lucas UCL suprised me when I poured it out of the bottle. It pours like corn syrup. Definitely thinker than I predicted. What's the word on how easily it mixes/dissolves with gasoline?? I poured it into the tank and then chased it down with a fresh fillup at Shell.

Does Lucas UCL have a density difference big enough for it to settle out??

I've tried UCL, FP-60, and FP Plus [ FP3000 ].

I noticed the biggest improvement in MPG and overall smooth engine operation with FP Plus and the least with UCL.

Density would matter if it was a colloidal suspension, but not in this case.
UCL has some cleaning benefits [not primarily a cleaner, though], makes gas burn better, and lubes the pump, injectors, valve stems, and top end, for a better seal.

Quote:

Does FP Plus act as an upper cylinder lubricant also?

Yes - one of the primary reasons it was developed. Provides all the benefits of FP60, burns even cleaner, is an UCL, and is made with some renewable ingredients.

I am thrilled with my FP Plus Gasoline (FP3000).

Quote:

Fuel Power, i've also noticed an increase in mpg with FP+. it's amazing

I have seen no mileage improvement with FP Plus in my Subaru. But I have only used it for about 300 miles. Did you guys see an immediate improvement?

I conducted a test run of FP+ and Lucas UCL in my 2007 Civic LX. Using Shell V-Power, I was able to determine that neither of these products significantly boosted my fuel efficiency. The Lucas UCL did seem to increase fuel efficiency somewhat, but it is hard to conclusively state that it did. In fairness, LCD clearly states that using FP+ "has the potential" to increase mpg. They do not promise that it will. My driving consists mainly of light suburban traffic, with a lot of short trips and frequent stops. During a typical week my car seldom goes above ~50 mph and I often drive less than 60 miles per week.

Subjectively I feel that the Lucas UCL does a great job of making my engine idle smoother and reach speed with less effort. Perhaps my tight, new engine (has less than ~2,500 miles total) benefits from the added lubricity that the UCL provides? All things considered, I prefer Lucas UCL because it produces a tangible benefit, smoother engine idle. FP+ may do a great job keeping the combustion chambers clean, but honestly how often would one tear down an engine to see? Perhaps there are pictures of engines that used FP+ out there on somewhere, but I have yet to see them.

Quote:

By the way.... the viscosity of the Lucas UCL suprised me when I poured it out of the bottle. It pours like corn syrup. Definitely thinker than I predicted. What's the word on how easily it mixes/dissolves with gasoline?? I poured it into the tank and then chased it down with a fresh fillup at Shell.

Does Lucas UCL have a density difference big enough for it to settle out??

Gomes did a test, UCL doesn't settle out.
UCL Settle Out Test

One of the things about FP is that you see benefits increase as the quality of your fuel decreases.

People who state they always use premium, or V-Power etc... rarely seem to notice much of a difference in fuel economy. People who use the cheapest 87 or 86 seem to notice a difference.

LCD has stated this, point blank, in the past.

Folks who see no mileage improvement should still be benefiting from the cleaning and UCL properties of FP.

I sometimes wonder if FP isn't just an inexpensive octane booster, water absorber and some cleaners. It allows those running really ---- gas to allow timing advance on their engine because it suppresses pre-detonation. If you already run higher octane fuel this won't do anything for you.

I run 91 or 92 all the time (my engine calls for it) and didn't really notice a fuel economy increase with FP60. I have some FP3000 that I haven't tried until my FP60 has run out. I like the cleaning/UCL angle of FP. I tried Lucas UCL and my engine did not like it. I noticed a marked drop in power at lower throttle angles (0-35%) that was repeatedly observable going on and off Lucas UCL on alternating tanks. I messed around trying to modify from the recommended dose but never found anything that worked well. FP does not interfere with performance so I'm still running it. Lucas would be cheaper, if it worked for me.

After running 100 gal. of Lucus treated gas through my Honda CR-V I see no difference in MPG. Possibly smoother acceleration but it might be a placebo effect or it cleaned the injectors. My conclusion, save your money for something else.

One interesting thing to note. While using a quart bottle of Lucas UCL to fill up my "On-Shot" bottles I spilled a little bit on my hand. Lucas UCL is extremely slippery. I had no idea just how slick this stuff is until this happened. Anyway, the value of Lucas UCL and FP+ is evaluated on an application by application basis. In my case I like the smooth idle that Lucas UCL produces in my 2007 Civic. At less than $1 per tank of gas this alone makes it worth it for me, especially since a tank of gas typically lasts me 2-3 weeks.

"One of the things about FP is that you see benefits increase as the quality of your fuel decreases. People who state they always use premium, or V-Power etc... rarely seem to notice much of a difference in fuel economy. People who use the cheapest 87 or 86 seem to notice a difference."

My experience exactly. I get lower fuel cost per mile with FP and cheap gas than with better gas with or without FP.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back