tranny fluid in gas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone ever tried or known anyone that has used tranny fluid in their gas as a fuel injector / carb cleaner. Like a mixture of 1 pint to a take of gas (15-20 gallons). I have heard a little about it in the past as a diesel fuel treatment but not in gas. I think it would prob be close to the same as MMO w/out the mineral spirits.

Been talked about a LOT of times. ATF has 'ash' produced upon combustion. It is an old wife's tale, though certainly less damaging in old diesels comapred to new engines.

MMO may be better, FP60, redline, amsoil, schaeffer's and similar purpose-specific adds produce the same results without some of the inherent risks.

JMH

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
A little Marvel Mystery oil, Lucas UCL, or 2 stroke oil at 2-4 ounce/10 gallons fuel will help.
ATF won't.

I have used MMO over the past 10-15 years with no problems. I was curious about the ATF because I have heard about it in the past. I have heard a lot of truckers in the past used it and was just wondering how everyone thought it would do in the newer cars of today at the rate of 1/2 pint to a tank of gas.

Quote:
It is an old wife's tale, though certainly less damaging in old diesels comapred to new engines.

I wouldn't say that. It's an old wives tale that it cleans in your crankcase. This was morphed from the Chevy recommendation to relieve lifter noise in some SBC engines. It was a thinning agent.

The ash issues aside, it will remove carbon in combustion chambers. I would not recommend it due to the ash issues ..but that's more due to contemporary engines being so inherently clean and you've got some expensive hardware involved that may not like it. Take a 60's engine in 1972 and the condition of the combustion chambers was usually pathetic due to poor fuel management. Lots of agents were used to clean them. Water, uncooked rice (YES - UNCOOKED RICE) ..and ATF. ATF got the reputation for this due to observations of leaking vacuum modulators, attached typically to the rear drivers runner on the intake, showed clean cylinders compared to others.

With an engine in that condition the side effects of such usage were usually nothing that would come close to the natural effects of fuel dilution and the pathetic oils of the time.

I've seen this in before and after situations in carb'd engines multiple times.

Again, I would not recommend it due to the aforementioned ash issues. We live in clean rooms compared to "back in the day".

There's lots of better agents to handle this now anyway.

Wow, Gary!

Why don't you tell us about the combustion chambers in your old minivan after running massive amounts of MMO & ATF in the fuel?

Ahhh, those were the good old days!
grin2.gif

I think that I still have the images of the head that was pulled not long after the treatments. Yes, Dave ..they were the good old days.

Yep, those were the photos I was thinking of...

...incidently, whenever I buy an old, used beast (my latest project is an '83 Toyota SR5 Pickup with 86,000 miles on it) I subject it to the MMO/ATF routine to see if it will pass muster.

After feeding it MMO/ATF, we changed the timing chain and guides (it came with the stupid single row chain and plastic guides, and we put in a double row chain and metal guides) and had the head off. It wasn't as perfect as your van, but pretty good.

Some neat white smoke out of the tailpipe!

MMO/ATF FOREVER!!
beer3.gif

LOL.gif
I think we can skip the ATF from here on out. Those in the know think that there's evil in it. They know more than I do ...so (Captain Jack Sparrow voice) best take heed to their warnings. You ne'r know who's watchin', right mate?
grin2.gif

MMO can produce enough smoke if used in high enough concentrations. That's the important part
LOL.gif

Gary and Dave,

I have been using MMO in my fuel just about every tank since I bought my truck new (02 Tundra), so based on the pics you posted, my pistons and valves should be squeaky clean. Go MMO !!!

Originally Posted By: tackleberry625
Gary and Dave,

I have been using MMO in my fuel just about every tank since I bought my truck new (02 Tundra), so based on the pics you posted, my pistons and valves should be squeaky clean. Go MMO !!!

Have you been putting a QUART of it in with each tank? THAT'S what we're talkin' about!
grin2.gif

MMO, it's mom, spelled sideways.

I used to use it in every tank. Now I do the occasional Seafoam vac line treatment instead. Don't know if that is any better though.

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
Gary and Dave,

Have you been putting a QUART of it in with each tank? THAT'S what we're talkin' about!
grin2.gif

Half gallon even ..if you want to skip the ATF add. That gives you that light fog as an after trail....
grin2.gif
No effect on the sniffer dyno emissions check in my case. Well within limits once the timing was retarded for NOX (common remedy). It wasn't smoking during the test ..but it point was it did no "damage".

Originally Posted By: Big O Dave
Gary and Dave,

grin2.gif

nope, just 6 ozs per 10 gallons of fuel. Do you think I should do the MMO thru the vacuum line if I have been using it in the fuel at each fill up?

The past few weeks I have been running 1/2 qt ATF to 16 gallons (full tank) of gas in my work vehicle. SO far no ill effects. I havnt put any in the past 3 tanks since I read about the ash issue. I go thru about 1 tank of gas per day. Oh yea, what excately is "ash". I have built and rebuit engines for years and never ran across such a thing. Lots of carbon build ups from cheap-o gas but never "ash".

My dad told me about how he did this to an old Ford Pinto with the German engine. He said his pinto blew so much blue smoke that it looked like the valve seals were worn out. However the engine eventually ran better. Dad didn't recall having emission control problems because of this. The reason the car originally didn't pass was because there were several vacuum leaks, a common problem with old emission control systems. I don't remember which year that car was, IIRC 1975 was the year they came with catalysts.

Quote:
Oh yea, what excately is "ash".

Someone will give you a better definition, but it's what's leftover when it burns (just like anything). It's why you can't use a multivisc in 2 stroke diesels ..and why you 2 stroke oil is low ash/no ash.

I never saw anything either. It's always burned cleanly from any and all indications that I've ever seen. It cleaned exhaust manifolds inside down to the metal if used enough ...but that's what Molakule and some others have cautioned about. Since I doubt that any of them have ever done it...I imagine that it's "common sense" on their advanced level of understanding. ATF isn't what it used to be "back in the day"...not that it probably made much difference with the typical carbon accumulations that common in 60's engines by the time the 70's rolled around.

There are lots of things we do that lots of bona fide experts recommend against doing.
21.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back