New Vatiiva A/Ts w/ pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a set of Nokian Vatiiva A/Ts installed this week. From everything I've read and from my past experience with Nokian winter tires, I have high hopes for them. Here are some recent pics:

Tires005.jpg

Tires004.jpg

Tires002.jpg

Tires001.jpg

Tires003.jpg

Tires006.jpg

Originally Posted By: CrazyMike
Lookin' good! What psi are you running by the way, Vativas are soft, too much you'll wear out the centers in no time.

Thanks. After reading your post, I went outside and checked the pressure. Three tires were at 28 lbs. and one was at 29 lbs. (all checked when cold). The owner's manual/door sill placard recommends 32 psi front and rear.

It was probably much warmer a few days ago when the tires were installed. Perhaps the colder weather has them down a few pounds. I'll need to put a few more pounds in. If they hit 27 psi, my TPMS warning light will come on.

What would you recommend I run them at?

P.S.
Your reminder about the pressure reminded me to check all of the lug nuts as well. One was loose and needed a good half-turn to snug it up.

I would run the tires at 28psi max all around being an SUV, can you reset for pressure monitoring system instead of adding psi? If ou look again at your 2nd pic, it shows a good shot of how little sidewall bulge you have as it is, the tire is easily holding the wieght at 28psi. Not knowing the tir or rim size I would go with this and keep an eye on how the tread wears, is it even.

Keep in mind that OEM recommendation is at a full load, unless your're running steadily at max gvw you're losing traction and wearing out the centers.

Thanks. You're close. It's 265/65/17 on a 7.5" wheel. I don't believe I can reset the monitor, and I am not sure that a dealer can either. Regardless, the Toyota dealer charged my tire dealer $170 several months ago just to "reprogram" the TPMS monitors when one of the tire dealer's employees broke a TPMS monitor when removing a tire to repair a flat. The tire dealer purchased the new TPMS part, but they didn't have the necessary tools/computers to program the new monitor themselves.

I also looked into this when I was considering buying a new set of wheels for snow tires. The TPMS uses a radio transmitter that sends a signal from each tire (incl. spare) telling the ECU what the pressure is. It's programmed to go off at 27 psi, and I don't want to pay a dealer $$$ to mess with it.

My father had the same fun with his '07 Expedition. Stock Chromie Ford steelies for the winter, each sensor was $165 Cdn. Pain in the butt to program too. It's to bad they couldn't of kept it simple, my wife's '03 Windstar throws up a warning when I put the winters on since the psi is lower, I hit the reset button, done.

It's wasted technology IMO, we should be paying closer attention to our vehicles, not waiting for automated equipment to warn us, especially when the equipment can fail.....

Last edited:
What year Toyota? My 08 Scion has a TPMS which you can "calibrate" by pressing a switch. If you add air to the tires, you calibrate the system with the new pressures. Same process to do after a tire rotation.

Originally Posted By: wantin150
What year Toyota? My 08 Scion has a TPMS which you can "calibrate" by pressing a switch. If you add air to the tires, you calibrate the system with the new pressures. Same process to do after a tire rotation.

It's a 2006 4Runner. The TPMS has been the topic of a lot of talk on various 4Runner forums, and I am nearly 100% certain that it is not able to be calibrated by the owner in any way.

Supposedly, the Land Cruiser has a very similar system; however, the ECU is able to store and recognize two distinct IDs or codes. This enables the owner to switch between two sets of wheels (e.g. snow tires) without the need to have the system reprogrammed at great expense twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back