Opinions on Firestone Destination A/T's....and

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great reviews on Tire Rack and Jeeps Unlimited. Tire Rack has some good picks. The Destination line incorporates a lot of Bridgestone's technology.

I've had these on my Mariner for over 1 year. I am very happy with them. I replaced the OEM Contitracs at 800 miles with these. The Contis were horrible!

mariner_newtires1.jpg

mariner11.jpg

I went with the Dunlop Radial Rover AT's instead of the Firestone AT's (cost). Hands down, the Firestone tires look better and get pretty good reviews from the folks at TR.

i have these on two trucks, a '99 Chevy Blazer with ~40k on them and a '04 Avalanche with 30K on them. the ride is quiet and smooth, wear is even and on the blazer I have at least 20k left on them, 30k+ on the Avalanche. Snow and mud traction is wonderful. they made it though Colorado Blizzard #2 last winter. My Son drove though it on the way back to Chicago. I pulled a loaded 4 place snowmobile trailer out of an unplowed storage yard last year with 15" of wet snow on the ground. It just moved through with no problem at all. it was actually quite fun. I would buy them again and use tirerack for all of my vehicles.

After two massive recalls from Firestone, I won't buy anything with that name on the sidewall ever again. My safety is too valuable to me, regardless of price. Obviously, not everyone feels the same.

Not one, but TWO massive recalls involving millions of tires that had the potential to literally come apart, after thousands of tires that already had. No wonder Ford won't use Firestones as an OE tire anymore.

There's just no excuse for that. If it hadn't been for Bridgestone, the Firestone name would have already been abandoned and dead.

And 2 massive blowouts that I have had with Goodyear and Michelin are ok??

I have had numerous different brands of tires, one's I have had without fail that have given me thousands of flawless miles are Bridgestone/Firestone tires.

Ford in and of itself is partly to blame for the issue as well; you don't load a heavy SUV on weak psi ratings that they placed on door placards.

Besides any manufactorer is going to have a defective product from time to time; isn't it Ford vehicles or their trucks that are having issues with the ignition/fuel system catching on fire?? Yet many upon many Ford's are still being purchased....I would never own one though.

Oh, have you checked/looked into ALL of your children/grand-children's toys recently??

Not aiming to be a butt-head here, but I didn't ask to have the Firestone issue brought up *again*....it's been spoken of here over and over and over again, and I do understand your suggesting of 2nd guessing my decision, but many other tire brands have proven to be faulty for me as well.

How many recalls involving millions and millions of tires have Goodyear or Michelin had? Let's see, Firestone has been through 2 (Radial 500 and the ATX/Wilderness).

Ford also used Goodyear tires built to the same specifications on the same Explorers, and the failure rate of the Goodyear tires was only a FRACTION of the failure rate of the Firestones. Ooops. The variable wasn't the vehicle, it was the tires.

The Wilderness tire was manufacturered using a version of the same flawed design as they used in the 500 tire. Don't you think they would have learned a bit quicker than that?

Let's see. I can still buy a Ford with Michelin tires, and I can still buy a Ford with Goodyear tires. Hmmmm.....

You asked for opinions. My apologies for mentioning a few facts. I should have known better.

You're right, I stand corrected, I did ask for opinions...but I don't stand to be accused of not caring about what tires go on my vehicles.

My family AND my trucks have always come before me.

I do understand where you're coming from...still doesn't ever give me peace of mind to purchase a Goodyear tire again...perhaps millions of Ford owners never had issues with them, but I have and on more then one occasion and more then two vehicles.

Goodyear, Michelin, and Yokohama tires will never be purchased in this house again....this includes BFG A/T KO's....I've had 2 blowouts from Goodyear, brand-new tires by the way; AND they refused to accept they were defective; Michelin tires have lead to separation in the treads.....and are you 100% SURE Ford didn't up their psi placard on the door AFTER the firestone issue??

Cause I have a friend who owns a later modeled Ford exporer and I know for a fact the psi rating is higher then what it was when those trucks were running firestone tires.

Ford ran Goodyears (Wrangler RT/S) and Firestones at the same time, at the same recommended inflation. Both manufacturers built the tires to the same Ford specs. The Firestone was used in much greater numbers mainly due to the fact that Firestone offered it to Ford at a lower price. The tires that failed at the highest rate were built at a now closed plant in my neck of the woods, in Decatur, IL. Sure, after the problem was realized, then the recommended pressure was increased. But it was the same before the problem became apparent.

The statistics show that the Firestones failed at a much higher rate than the Goodyear. It is estimated that 1 of every 400 Firestone tires failed. You talk about tire failures, one tire failure in every 400 tires is one tire on every 100th vehicle...

I don't know what you're doing to tires to cause them to fail, but you seem to be quite unlucky with tires. Tires just don't fail, there's always a reason. Usually it is tied to underinflation or overloading (or both), or age. And none of those is the fault of the manufacturer.

I pull a 7500# travel trailer, and haven't lost a tire while pulling the trailer since the 'bias ply' years (which ended many years ago). All the tires that have failed on me were slipped belts on older tires near the end of their tread life.

I put a set of DESTINATION LE's on our Jeep GC 3000 miles ago. EXTREMELY similar to the B'stone Dueler HLs in noise, handling and performance (I've had 3 sets of HLs but the prices have kept going up, up, up...).

I am EXTREMELY PLEASED with the LEs in this application. I do not hesitate to recommend them. Quiet, stiff sidewalls, pretty good wet traction, sturdy enuf for mild, moderate off-pavement use, but not too harsh feeling.

M

FWIW - I run 8 ply tires on my 5,000# trucks, and 10-ply tires on my dodge diesel, ALL of our tires are replaced EVERY 4-5yrs or at the first sign of major wear/weather-rot, which ever occurs first.

I have ONLY had 3 blowouts in millions of miles traveled across country; 2 blowouts were with Goodyear, one with michelin on BRAND-NEW tires that were NOT in the slightest underinflated, I keep nothing less then 40psi in my mid-sized SUV/Truck; and 75-80psi in my diesel.

Guess I'm doing something wrong still....Let's just put this to rest, you are more then welcome to come here and pick a set of tires for my truck, I don't care...just make sure they do good in the snow and not have to worry about the embarrassment of a 4x2 truck pulling out a 4x4 truck cause the tires don't grip!

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
After two massive recalls from Firestone, I won't buy anything with that name on the sidewall ever again. My safety is too valuable to me, regardless of price. Obviously, not everyone feels the same.

Not one, but TWO massive recalls involving millions of tires that had the potential to literally come apart, after thousands of tires that already had. No wonder Ford won't use Firestones as an OE tire anymore.

There's just no excuse for that. If it hadn't been for Bridgestone, the Firestone name would have already been abandoned and dead.

I can see where you are coming from, but the Destination line of tires is essentially a very strong attempt to repair Firestone's reputation. They put a lot of effort into making these very good tires. I put them on my Explorer AND Ranger without a second thought. I ran them for 30K on the Ranger and they were still on when I sold it. I was never dissapointed with them.

Here they are on my Explorer, size 31x10.50
2930229_13_full.jpg

They are very quiet. Wet traction is great, off road traction is good. The ones on the Explorer only have about 800 miles on them, but the ones on the Ranger always wore very evenly and without any surprises.

Originally Posted By: Ramblin Fever
I have ONLY had 3 blowouts in millions of miles traveled across country; 2 blowouts were with Goodyear, one with michelin...

After travelling so many miles, I have no idea as to why you're complaining about 3 blowouts. I really don't. It seems that you're expecting perfection, when it doesn't realistically exist.

Yesterday's Firestone that was flawed was limited to a few bad cheap models of tire for mass production on factory vehicles. Ford used them on everything back in the mid-90's, Explorers, Expeditions, F-150's, as did GM on SUV's and 1/2 ton trucks. And man they were cheap junk no doubt. The local deaer told me what Ford paid for Firestone to roll on the trucks/suv's, it was sick. So much money spent, and .0000001% covered the tires.

On the plus side, Firestone-Bridgestone has built extremely good tires for many years, and the current lineup gives nothing away to Goodyear, Michelin, Toyo, and so on for build quality. The Firestone Steeltex AT is the only OEM tire that was not removed off light trucks up here for logging/bush usage, they are extremely well built and have been around providing flawless service since the early 80's. Unfortunately these tires are now replaced with useless Continentals (18" wheels) and the barely adquate BFG long Trail highway-focused tire that is eaten up quickly on bush roads. The Goodyears...... well you don't see a bush truck with 20" wheels, I'm sure they're fine for pavement pounding around the mall.

I would have no problem at all running Firestone today on any of my vehicles, some garbage tire produced ten or so years ago reflect nothing on what they build today.

Last edited:
Thank you greatly for the input CrazyMike, I really appreciate hearing from those that have actually put Firestone tires to use since their flaw 10yrs ago.

FWIW - I ran BFG long-trails on my truck as an oem tire from the factory, they were barely adequate, I'll definitely agree to that. I got exceptional mileage out of them, around 75k miles or so, but their gripping left a lot to be desired.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back