Mobil 1 EP or NAPA Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an application in which I can get the M1 EP at $9.88 or the NAPA Gold for $9.69, since price is not a factor here which would you go with and why?
Thanks in advance...

I'd choose the M1 EP. Wix, although very well built, isn't stellar in terms of filtration. Most (all I can think of) are cellulose media ..while M1 is synthetic. Both will serve you well in extended drains if mileage is high enough, imo.

The M1 has better filter specs compared to the relabeled Wix (NAPA Gold). Same price go with the M1. Also, M1 describes their media as synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

From the M1 website:
Quote:
The filter box says that Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters contain a synthetic fiber blend filter element. Are these related to the synthetic components found in Mobil 1 synthetic motor oils?

No. Most conventional oil filters use a filter medium that is made of cellulose – typically wood fiber – and polyester fibers. Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters combines a mixture of synthetic micro fibers and natural fibers to produce the most efficient oil filter on the market. The synthetic components of Mobil 1 motor oil are chemically synthesized liquids.

The synthetic fibers in Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filters yield the following key benefits:

A much more efficient filter, removing more particles per pass through the filter than conventional filter media.

Less resistance to oil flow, reducing the potential for the filter to restrict the flow of oil to your engine.

A larger surface area to trap more contaminant particles, allowing the longer service intervals

I would choose Mobil 1 since it has the synthetic media. It's also guaranteed to last 15000k if used with Mobil EP oil.

In my opinion the Amsoil EaO is the better of the two, but in this particular application of mine I can't justify the $22 price.

Quote:
Also, M1 describes their media as synthetic blend, not full synthetic.

I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that the nanofiber process sprays the web on top of a cellulose substrate. I don't think it's "free formed" 100% synthetic media. It's a licensed process from Donaldson who uses it in all of their advanced filtration systems.

On my Wix applications (51516, and 51348); the website lists the filter's as having paper elements. I e-mailed Wix about this, and they stated the filters contained the T-03 "Glass enhanced" media..not plain paper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back