Studs on winter tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
traction is more important than fuel costs with glare ice and my kids inside.

Couldn't be stated any better!!

Here in the hills of SW PA, we get plenty of snowy/icy conditions. A number of years ago, PA outlawed studs since rescinded, thank the Highest Power, (hmmm, thanks also to the 'bad word' censor
frown.gif
) and it made for some interesting winter driving, to say the least. My latest Expedition is running studded Hankook iPike 265-70-17's, and the difference between them and the All-Season whatevers is amazing. How they'd be without studs I don't know, because I always run studs whenever possible!!

The wife's Freestyle uses a weird tire size, 215-65-17, for which no studdable tires were available when I needed them its first winter, and the OEM Conti's were just about useless on any type of packed snow or ice, so, I went with Michelin's X-Ice's. I was quite favorably impressed with the way they handled a few glare'ish ice conditions. On the other hand, I've heard that the special tire compounds used in the studless ice/snow tires tends to lose its grip over time. We'll see - they're on their third year, and it's snowing outside. The older I get, the less appealing winter is.
frown.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back