Delvac 1 ESP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Link

480F flash point.

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP utilizes state-of-the-art technology to deliver exceptional performance in modern low emission engines, including those with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) and Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s), as well as refrigerated units and older, well-maintained engines. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in a wide range of heavy-duty applications and operating environments found in the on-road transport and off-road mining, construction, and agricultural industries. Mobil Delvac 1 ESP also meets the API SM specification for gasoline engines used in mixed fleets.

Quote:
Mobil Delvac 1 ESP 5W-40 is recommended for use in all super high performance diesel applications, including modern low emission engine designs with Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR), Aftertreatment systems with Diesel Particulate Filters (DPF’s) and Diesel Oxidation Catalysts (DOC’s). These applications include the following:

On-highway engines operating in both high speed/high load and stop-and-go conditions
Off-highway engines operating in severe low speed/heavy load conditions
Virtually all diesel powered equipment from American and European equipment builders
High performance gasoline engines and mixed fleets
Refrigeration units

There's a place online that I don't think I'm allowed to link here that has a sale on this oil and I may buy some to try in my VW 1.8T instead of M1 0W-40. Price comes to $7.13/qt before shipping and $8.94 to VA. The CJ-4 add pack's reduced sulfated ash is a benefit in gas engines since the ash builds up on the spark plugs and can also get in the piston ring grooves.

If you find any good info on this oil, please post it. My order rests on a fine balance...it won't take much for me to finalize it.

Nobody seems to have any extra info on this new oil. I have no way of determining with any certainty whether it may outperform M1 0W-40 in a turbo, oil-killing gas engine. The specs this HDEO meets can be met with dino HDEOs, obviously. So for this oil to be great, it would have to significantly exceed the minimum performance requirements of those specs. M1 0W-40 on the other hand, meets specs that dino PCMOs cannot meet. Some of the tests are brutal, like MB 229.5. I have the breakdown of the tests for many specs, including MB 229.5.

I'm still on the fence and may just have to buy this oil and try it/test it. I hope other people try it too, regardless of what engine they use it in. Any info would be better than the complete lack of info that we seem to have so far (aside from the PDS from Mobil).

Yeah it's hard to say. It looks like it will be very good.
smile.gif

buster, we need a spy to infiltrate the places that keep the engine test sequence data from this oil and others, so we can compare. Are you free in the next few months to take on this mission? It may require some sly deceptive methods! I ask you because I saw that picture of you snooping around the Mobil building that 427Z06 posted a while back. For those that didn't see the picture, yes it was a joke.
smile.gif

Exhaust System Protection

Unless your engine and/or warranty requires this relatively new formulation, you'll do just as well on regular D1 or M1 TDT 5W-40.

For any Euro turbo engine, I'd definitely pick one of Mobil's 5W-40 products over their 0W-40.

Originally Posted By: JAG
M1 0W-40 on the other hand, meets specs that dino PCMOs cannot meet. Some of the tests are brutal, like MB 229.5. I have the breakdown of the tests for many specs, including MB 229.5.

There is a Mobil 1 ESP Formula M 5w40, designed specifically for Mercedes cars. Similar to the new Delvac, but not identical.

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/GLXXENPVLMOMobil1_ESP_Formula_M_5W-40.asp

Hi,
Eiron - you said:
"For any Euro turbo engine, I'd definitely pick one of Mobil's 5W-40 products over their 0W-40"

Porsche will ONLY allow the use of M1 0w-40 in their VERY HOT Porsche Cayenne twin turbo V8 regardless of use or maximum operating ambient temperature. They expressly exclude the 5w-40 and 5w-50 variants! It has been this way for several years

The same applies to Mercedes AMG vehicles

M1 0w-40 is an extremely good product in the correct application which includes supercharged,turbocharged and supercharged engines that are turbocharged. Including of course a number of diesel engines too

Regards
Doug

I agree with what Eiron said also. Considering that a PAO 4 fluid is used as a base for the 0W-40 and a PAO 6 is used for the 5W-40, I too will always choose the PAO 6 fluid simply for the stable nature of it.

This certainly doesn't put a black mark on the M-1 0W-40, but for my money and my engines, I choose the PAO 6 fluid.

Hey Doug,
C'mon, you know I'm just as big a fan of M1 0W-40 as you are! Don't you remember my 20k mi/21+ mos 0W-40 UOA I posted last year? I just received my latest 20k mi UOA on my '90 900 (0W-40 & 15W-50 mix), & I'll post those numbers soon. I'm sure my earlier posts are all gone now, but I've always been one of 0W-40's biggest supporters. Heck, even my beloved Saabs all come factory-filled with 0W-40. (I think it's a huge improvement over the 5W-30 semi-syn originally "recommended" for my 1999 9-3 Saab's turbo engine.)

My own UOAs show a definite improvement going from 0W-40 to 5W-40 in my turbo application. Years ago, Pablo posted an Amsoil UOA that showed his Volvo turbo (wagon?) shredding some very nice 20W-50. BMW traditionally runs higher viscosities than most other makers. I thought, traditionally, VW/Porsche/Audi did the same (at least outside the US).

I realize that 0W-40 is Mobil's first "global" oil. There are huge business benefits to this in manufacturing, marketing & distribution. There's also huge environmental benefits from getting a larger group of people to start using superior oil that saves fuel & makes engine components last longer. I understand your not wanting to deviate from the factory recommendation. Perhaps you can shed some light on why Porsche excludes 5W-40 in the Cayenne? And why you choose to run it in your Boxster?

For my Saabs, they all only hold 4 qts of oil. On top of that, a Bosch technical rep told me that Saab did more than any other manufacturer to squeeze as much power as possible out of their turbos. (Admitedly, that was a couple of years ago. I know other makers are now using similar technology to push their engines.) Those factors, along with Saab falling victim to the rash of sludge-prone vehicles, tell me that my Euro cars are particularly hard on oil. I want to find the most protective oil for extended drains in both turbo & non-turbo applications. (If my next UOA on my '99 9-3 doesn't improve, I might start changing it every 5k mi.)

Anyway, I really do love M1 0W-40! I still highly recommend it for every non-turbo & Asian-turbo vehicle. I just feel that some manufacturer recommendations are made with multiple factors in mind, not just engine protection.

Cheers,

Greg

Hi,
Greg, well at least the senses are firing!

As you know I am a long term user of Delvac 1 5w-40 - probably more than most on here having used it for a decade or so over millions of kms and in various engines

I just think many people have a dislike for M1 0w-40 and for a variety of reasons - mostly unsubstantiated
It is a great product with an unparalleled reputation in the "expensive" engine field

Using Delvac 1 5w-40 in my Boxster is motivated by exposure to the M96 Porsche engine - it has an undeserved reputation for certain "series" failures. I prefer the higher HTHS viscosity and I like the ester content! These engines rattle a little on cold startup too - even on Del 1!!!
And our current overnight temperatures are around 25C (77f)

Of the factory Approved lubricants about 80% are 5w-40 vis. and Mobil do not market one in OZ

Remember that Porsche List a number of 0w-40 lubricants, not only Mobils - the Castrol version for instance has a 100C vis of 13.5cSt versus M1's 14.3 and it has a slighter higher HTHS vis. too

The Cayenne's twin turbo V8 is/was a new series of engine for Porsche and it is dry run in at the factory. I expect it is to do with Turbo spool up time -the core temperature of these engines is around 92-98C and as there is up to a 10% viscosity variance at this point it is significant. (This was found by Subaru with the WRX as well)
It may also be that its deposit control (flow)is better and this series of engines has a lot of hydraulic actuators covering many functions too

Porsche have not endorsed a SAE30 lubricant since MY99 (except Cayenne V6 (VW))

I spent some time recently with some Porsche Factory Engineers who ran their racing programmes (60s-70s) and now care for those cars in their "after world"
Their respect and endorsement of M1 0w-40 astounded me! They also use Valvoline mineral oil in certain engines

My involvement with both Porsche and MB here endorses the viewpoint that M1 0w-40 has an outstanding record of in-field protection with their engines. This is borne out by Warranty experience and parts sales

I did not like 0w-40 in my BMW Z3 2.8 - it was excessively noisy at startup (harmless but annoying)- the UOAs were excellent.
It just sounded better on Del 1!!!

It operates well in my VW Golf and CLK

Regards
Doug

Hi Doug,
May I go off topic,my name is Jeff White, I have a Ford BA XR6 Turbo Series 1 2002,I currently use Castrol Edge 0w-40, would Delvac 1 be a better choice? as your ongoing experienc is more in depth than a normal person such as my self, I would appreciate your comments.
Again I appologise for going off Topic.

Regards
Jeff White

Last edited:
Emissions System Protection I believe - no big deal, same point.

Sulfated ash is capped at 1.0%, phosphorous (and therefore it's paired zinc additive component) are reduced, but many test requirements are more severe than CI-4 Plus. No worries with CJ-4.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
So...is this the Mobil Delvac that will soon become popular with the VW 505ers?

Not the ones who stick to 505.01

Hi,
Jeff White - You have a nice car!
Castrol's "Edge" 0w-40 is a "thin" SAE40 lubricant. It has a viscosity of 13.5cSt @ 100C and a HTHS viscosity of 3.7cSt. Your car requires a SAE30 lubricant so IMO it is a good and effective alternative choice. I have not heard a bad word about it here and I believe it is of German origin!

Whilst Delvac 1 5w-40 is a great lubricant it is probably not worth the hastle of trying to find it in your case - it is NOT readily available in OZ except via some Distributors and Mobil Truck Stops

M1 0w-40 is a good alternative to Castrol edge but it is much more expensive

Good to see the Melbourne flag flying!

Regards
Doug

Thanks for your reply Doug,
The xr runs well with the Castrol Edge no rattle on start up and on the highway economy is 10.9 litres per 100k.
Pretty good for a performance car.

Regards
Jeff White

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back