Selling used tires - any possible liabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So somebody is interested in buying my OEM tires which have only about 3500 miles on them. They're coming off because I got winter tires. The OEM tires seem to be in great shape and don't look worn at all. But I'm wondering if the stress of dismounting them and them mounting them again might weaken the tires to the point where it might be dangerous for the guy who buys them. I'm also wondering if I can get sued and be legally liable if there happens to be a tire failure.

Bottom line is I'm wondering if I should sell my tires or just dispose them. I don't want anyone to get hurt and I don't want to get sued if somebody does get hurt.

WISH YOU WOULD THROW 'EM IN MY DUMPSTER!!!!!

Liability would go back to whoever mounts them in the future, either for damaging while installing, or failure to notice previous damage while installing. Unless failure was traceable to original manufacturing defect at which time mfg. would still be liable for defective product reguardless of number of owners.

NOTE! I'm not a lawyer,or product liability expert. Just what I've seen in the past.

Bob

Untraceble cash. Use only code names.

From what I understand, it isn't a good idea to mount and dismount tires all the time but what happens when you get an object in the tire and they patch? They dismount and then mount. Personally, I wouldn't buy used tires but I don't see the problem in selling someone a used set if they need them.

used cars usually have damage or wear of some sort. If you didn't know about a problem or sold "as is", you would not be liable.

Sell-em, they are probably fine. You will make someone real happy and eliminate needless waste.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
But I'm wondering if the stress of dismounting them and them mounting them again might weaken the tires to the point where it might be dangerous for the guy who buys them.

I wouldn't worry. In many countries it is common to use two sets of tires (summer and winter) with the same rims, so the tires get mounted/dismounted every spring and fall for several years. If you do it hundreds of times, then eventually there may be a problem, but not right away.

If there's any question, I'd have a simple bill of sale signed by both parties stating that the tires are being sold "as-is", with no known defects, but that there is no warranty whatsoever. I'd also include the amount of money that changed hands.

That way, there are no misunderstandings.

I do this everytime I sell a used car. Buyer Name, Seller name, Year/Make/Model, VIN, mileage of vehicle, list of all known defects, statement that vehicle is sold as-is with no warranty whatsoever, Selling price, buyer signature, seller signature. One copy for the buyer, one for the seller.

I don't know if it would ever hold up in court, but I still do it anyway. If nothing else, it gets it in writing.

You can get sued by anyone for almost anything. Life's too short to worry about that fact and then apply it to every facet of your life.

I'd sell 'um and never think twice about it...

If you wanna be anal about this you can have the buyer sign a disclaimer that says the tires are sold "as is" with no "implied warranties of merchantability" of any kind. I'm no lawyer and am not able to render a legal opinion, but I think that would help cover your rear.

I used to have the same concern with volunteering to help out in a soup kitchen over the holidays. I mean what if people got sick from what they ate.

I would take a different tack and not put anything in writing. Sell for cash locally on craigslist. Delete the craigslist add after the sale.

If you want to feel better, ask the tire dealer to inspect the tires for roadworthiness, and bag them up, when you have them dismounted. Shoot, you could offer to sell them to the tire dealer then it's on their hands.

Thanks for all the advice all. Some good tips and thoughts.

Benjamming,
I've got a set of 17s with Falken 912s that I'll be running after winter.

i sell all my used tires on craigs list, the last set i had i ran them for 20,000 miles and sold them to some kid in a honda for $15 a piece instead of paying the installer $5 each for disposal.

Sold the tires. Turns out that the guy I sold it to use to work at a tire store mounting and balancing and he wasn't worried at all. He was glad to get a set of nearly new tires for cheap and my wife is happy that one set of tires is no longer hogging up space in the garage.

Originally Posted By: VeeDubb
Sold the tires. Turns out that the guy I sold it to use to work at a tire store mounting and balancing and he wasn't worried at all. He was glad to get a set of nearly new tires for cheap and my wife is happy that one set of tires is no longer hogging up space in the garage.

Sounds like a "win-win" to me.

Isn't that how it is supposed to be?
smile.gif

I buy used tires exclusively for my 9-5....I have a neat little shop nearby that sells them mounted and balanced for $30 a tire. It's really nice to find OEM Michelins for my car and get them mounted and balanced for next to nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back