Synthetic Delo 5W-40 vs AMS 12 TBN 10W-30/30

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious if anyone has done any test with Syn Delo. What are the base stocks? Group 3, and how does it compare with AMS? I can get syn delo here on the central coast of California for $120 for a case of 6 gallons.

And also I was pondering this just now, How come AMS oil products do not print the API Dough nut on the back of there oil. The 12 TBN 15W-40 I used did not have the symbol? Mobil Delvac1 I know for sure also has this doughnut why not AMS oil?

Delo Synthetic is group III.
Yes, Delo is good and compares to Amsoil.
Amsoil will cost about the same price you can get the Delo for.
Amsoil does not endorse the use of the (symbol) execept in a few cases where they use fluids mainly that have qualified for the (symbol)

Amsoil would be your best bet....if you compare the two! If you are worried about the (symbol) use Delo! If you are not worried about the (symbol) use Amsoil.

It would also be unwise to overlook it in favor of a more premium synthetic oil- dino Delo produces some great UOA's...I am sure their group III 5W40 is no different.

The oil exeeds the specs.
It's all about licensing and playing the API thing. Amsoil likes to be able to reformulate to improve their oil on a whim.

But being a small company they have to pay the fee everytime they do reformulate. The fee is kinda pricey so they don't like to play game, so they don't on most of their oils.

Their oils are top notch regardless of the donut......I'm sure one of the sponsors can elaborate more......

Originally Posted By: John With Beastly 302

I am just curious if anyone has done any test with Syn Delo. What are the base stocks? Group 3, and how does it compare with AMS? I can get syn delo here on the central coast of California for $120 for a case of 6 gallons.

And also I was pondering this just now, How come AMS oil products do not print the API Dough nut on the back of there oil. The 12 TBN 15W-40 I used did not have the symbol? Mobil Delvac1 I know for sure also has this doughnut why not AMS oil?

Originally Posted By: John With Beastly 302
Thanks for the replys. So as long as CJ-4 is printed on the back of the AMS oil I use I will be good?

Does the Symbol really matter? I mean does the oil meet the specs printed on the back of the container?

Let me start out by clearly saying Amsoil ACD 10W-30/SAE 30 does NOT meet "CJ-4" (or CJ-4+). Then maybe I need to ask a question, why would you want CJ-4+ for a Beastly 302? This is a lows SAPS diesel oil....if you want the protection of high P and Zn for your gasser you want anything prior to CJ-4+.

Amsoil ACD 10W-30/SAE 30

Amsoil PC cost for ACD will about $120 for 6 gallons, if you want to compare prices.

As for the oil, comparing any 30 to 40 or any 40 to any 30 can be difficult. I don't know a ton about Delo 5W-40. But the whole Delo line is very good in my estimation. I am also pretty sure the 5W-40 contains some group III base oils (nothing wrong with that!), and with the 5W-40 spread contains a decent amount of VII's (pour point agents, thickeners, etc). In a big rig with a 12+ gallon sump, this doesn't present any problem. In a 5 quart built gasoline V8, it might be more noticeable in the wear department. Especially if it's a reduced additive CJ-4+ formulation.

ACD is a group IV base oil, without VII's. It meets the multiweight viscosity spread with it's base oils alone and contains a nice amount of P, Zn, Ca and other additives. If your car can use a 10W-30, it will provide great wear protection, and IMHO better wear protection than any Group III 5W-40.

Originally Posted By: sheerinator
In 11 years of using Amsoil products of all types, I can say with confidence that nothing beats Amsoil.

Even though I still use Amsoil products, I can say with confidence that in four years of using it I have had better results with other HDEO oils in my Dodge Cummins...

Originally Posted By: sheerinator
Can I ask you what they are?

Regular Delo 400 15W40, Valvoline Premium Blue 15W40 and 76 Royal Triton 15W40.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back