Supertech ST6607 2.8k miles Subaru Outback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed out the Pennzoil 5w-30 today getting ready for a 3000 mile trip this summer.

Photos of the Supertech filter;

Whole filter:

side whole filter:

side closeup:

Bypass Valve:

The element is the smallest I've ever seen. Filter is made well.

What oil went in for the next OCI?
grin.gif

I will be doing a "useless" UOA on this oil when the OCI is up.
tounge2.gif

Take care, bill
patriot.gif

Bill: Thanks for posting the photos of this interesting filter. Do you think it was made by Champ labs? BTW, the missus must get pretty mad at you for getting dirty oil on her purty white carpet.
grin.gif

Yeah, Its made by Champ.

Under the filter is a towel. Wife would love to kill me..

(but thats another story...
grin.gif
)

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Hey Bill, just out of curiosity, what did you use to cut open your filter? Still looking for a good method to opening them
smile.gif
I have my Napa Gold from my ARX clean phase and my Supertech from my rinse phase I wanna cut open
smile.gif

Quote:

Hey Bill, just out of curiosity, what did you use to cut open your filter? Still looking for a good method to opening them
smile.gif
I have my Napa Gold from my ARX clean phase and my Supertech from my rinse phase I wanna cut open
smile.gif

Dremel tool with a cut off disc. Not the cleanest, but it works. (make sure you drain all the oil out before cutting.. or wear a old dirty shirt. (don't ask how I know))
laugh.gif

Bill
patriot.gif

I really do recommend on the subaru you use the OEM filter or at least the longer 7317 sized filter. The OEM filter has A LOT more filtration media and it's worth the extra price. Just my $0.02

Quote:

I really do recommend on the subaru you use the OEM filter or at least the longer 7317 sized filter. The OEM filter has A LOT more filtration media and it's worth the extra price. Just my $0.02

Interesting.

According to the dealer in 2006 Subaru put on new headers that made using the smaller filter a must. The longer filters get too close to the header and damage to the media/filter could happen.

According to Amsoil, they have different filters for the 2005 Outback than the 06/07 (a 20 vs a 12) so they show a different unit.

I bought some Prolines and Pureones that were on sale at Pepboys and they are longer. Pepboys being the worst place to buy autoparts had only 2005 as the latest year in their book and the "help" behind the counter said thats the latest book they had. So I bought 4 filters since the price was excellent (max of 2 for filter)

Here is a photo of the Supertech vs Proline.

I also have the honda filter and its even longer than the Proline.

I'm not concerned with the size of the filter since even with a smaller filter, you still have a lot of area of media to filter thru. Also I'm not an extended OCI guy (costs are more than 5-7k oci plus warrenty issues) so the longest a filter would have to be on the car is 7,500 miles.

Any thoughts?
confused.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

I agree that a smaller filter is perfectly fine for a Subaru engine for 7500 miles.

Thanks for the reply.

Was hoping that I wuld get some feedback on the change of filters due to the newer header setup...
dunno.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

I sometimes run a Wix 51365 for two OCI's, which is 15000 miles total for me, and the UOA's show excellent filtration: Insolubles less than 0.2% both at 7500 and 15000 miles. I cut open the filters, and I can see no difference in their appearance, no matter if they went 7500 or 15000. Good engine, good filter, don't worry!

Nothing wrong with Supertechs...I switched over to them on my wife's 2004 Honda Powered Vue and UOA'shave shown filtration to be great!

Thanks for posting Bill!

Goose
patriot.gif

The supertech spin on's have given me great service in every application I have tried them on.

Their cartridge filters aren't the best however, at least in my ecotec application.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yeah it's too bad they don't make'm like that anymore.

Quite a few import filters are of this type and not E-Cores. The Champ filters for Toyota are still this type. I like them!

Hey Bill, is there a small flat piece of rubber to seal the bypass valve? I personally think that is the best bypass valve setup; even better than Wix's upfront bypass design. Beats the [censored] out of Purolator's design that in my testing, you can't even push the thing open. The Champ design is similar to Fram but looks like it's constructed better; especially the spring.

The Champ setup allows the most oil flow through the bypass and it doesn't alter the flow path, where as with the upfront design, oil is coming through the bypass practically against the oil flow coming through the element.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Yeah it's too bad they don't make'm like that anymore.

Quite a few import filters are of this type and not E-Cores. The Champ filters for Toyota are still this type. I like them!

Hey Bill, is there a small flat piece of rubber to seal the bypass valve? I personally think that is the best bypass valve setup; even better than Wix's upfront bypass design. Beats the [censored] out of Purolator's design that in my testing, you can't even push the thing open. The Champ design is similar to Fram but looks like it's constructed better; especially the spring.

The Champ setup allows the most oil flow through the bypass and it doesn't alter the flow path, where as with the upfront design, oil is coming through the bypass practically against the oil flow coming through the element.

(sorry about the delay, new board software will not notify ANY threads like the old software did..
frown.gif
)

No, the bypass valve was on top of metal but the seal was very well done.

I'm running one of the longer Pureones and I have noticed in 1,200 miles the sticker on the filter changing colors. It seems that the shorter one would be a better idea to use since its further away from the headers.

When I cut it open, hopefully I don't find any problems with the element and any heat damage.

Take care, bill
grin2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back