ATF Fluid for Suzuki Forenza

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

- change filter & gasket

Trans filter is buried deep in the transmission and is only changed while rebuilding the transmission from what I learned. Plus don't think a pan drop is possible. Only the 2 plugs are to be removed for a fluid change.

See the Service manual at: ZF 4HP16 Service

It is made for the Chevrolet Lacetti, but think of it as a Suzuki Forenza with a 1.8L engine... transmission is exactly the same.

Mario, my 2000 BMW 540iAuto has a ZF 5-speed 5HP 24 (A5S 440Z) transmission that does have a changeable filter and removable pan.

Thank you sir
wink.gif

Sorry to revive an old thread...

I've returned to the GM dealer to buy 1L (just enough to refill what I take for a Blackstone ATF oil analysis) of the right fluid for my Chevrolet Optra (Forenza twin), and they insist that I use a different fluid in my car than the Esso LT71141. They sold me ACDelco p/n Canada:22689186 (USA:88900925) "Auto Trans Fluid / Also for Saturn T-IV" that they now use to service these cars.

Anyone care to comment if they think this fluid is really compatible or the dealer is missing something. I had them double check with their transmission tech, while insisting that my car doesn't have the Aisin transmision like the Aveo.

Last edited:
Unless they can give you a TSB that shows that the PN was superceded, I would not bother going to the dealer for parts anymore. Get the correct esso/total fluid, or use a univeral multivehicle ATF that mentions the 71141 spec.

I am Suzuki Gold Tech and a Forenza uses Esso LT71141 NOT T-IV (Mobil 3309). Suzuki traning specifically forbids the use of Dex/T-IV.
From what I can find it is a ZF made trans...

Oh yeah, the drain and fill plugs are 5/16" (8mm) Pipe Plug. Then works great.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: unDummy
Unless they can give you a TSB that shows that the PN was superceded

No they just stated that the other p/n I was asking is still available, but that is not what they're using. I guess I'll stay away from there for everything transmission related in the future!

Originally Posted By: ewetho
I am Suzuki Gold Tech and a Forenza uses Esso LT71141 NOT T-IV (Mobil 3309). Suzuki traning specifically forbids the use of Dex/T-IV.
From what I can find it is a ZF made trans...

That's what I feared... at least I double checked here before using the fluid. I guess I should forget about getting a refund on this, since they're so convinced I got the right thing.

I might settle for the Valvoline Maxlife ATF option, they confirmed to me via email that one of their product should be fine for me.

Quote:
Oh yeah, the drain and fill plugs are 5/16" (8mm) Pipe Plug. Then works great.

Are we talking about round expanding rubber plugs? Thanks for the tip, I was banging my head trying to find a solution for this. Closest guess was to grind a 1/2" socket adapter into a square 8mm.

Suzuki recommends the LT 71141 for that trans and 3309 on some of their other transmissions. So stick with what works. We have most come from the factory with red fluid but the service fluid we get at the dealership is not. Weird.

The 8mm or 5/16" pipe plug is used to open the trans for fill or drain.

We have had a couple of them over 100K miles so far and OK. Recently saw 2 engine ie though. Guess they don't car to go underwater anymore than other egines. One apparently lost a head gasket or coolant hose failed and customer admitted they kept driving till it BLEW up nascar style with the white cloud out the back. Transmissions still work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back