Porsche Boxter M-1 5w30 20,000mi OCI?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

PT1

My friend has a 2007 Porsche Boxter that he bought new and it has 10,000 miles on the clock with the M-1 5w30 factory fill still in there. The dealer told him to run it to 20k???
shocked2.gif

Has anyone heard of this?

I doubt it was 5w-30. M1 for that car, IIRC is M1 0w-40. his oil is good for up to that amount, on engines designed for extended drain intrvals, like the Porsche.

A UOA will confirm. For the first change, Id ay that 10k is a good point to do it and check a UOA.

JMH

New car? I'd have changed it at 1-1.5k just on principal, tranny fluid too.
But these days most people don't buy cars to keep them forever, or even a few years.
If he plans on keeping the car then a 10k OCI will keep the engine healthier.
GC 0W30 > M1 0W40

Originally Posted By: PT1
My friend has a 2007 Porsche Boxter that he bought new [snip] M-1 5w30 factory fill still in there.

M1 5W-30 factory fill in a Porsche? Not on this Earth.

Boxters also have Replace Engine Lights in the dash. They are not known for lasting very long, even a season or two of autocrossing has been known to cook bearings. Good thing the crate motors are so cheap from Porsche (seriously), most dealers keep them on-hand. I would not even run M1 0w-40 in that application, I would pony up the cash for some thing a bit more robust
smile.gif

I have an 07 Boxster and I just changed the oil out at 7500 miles although the factory recommendation is 20000 miles. Had Blackstone do a UOA and they told me that the factory oil was a 30 weight (and it was even slightly below the allowable viscosity range for 30), so I'm glad I dumped it out.

Someone on a Porsche forum I frequent mentioned that for 2008, Porsche will be changing to a 12000 mile OCI.

Regards,
paul....

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Hey Paul, what is the Porsche forum you hang out on?

I'd like to check it out. Cheers!!

renntech dot org

I'm a contributing member which gives me access to TSBs and other useful stuff (like DIY service info). There's also rennlist dot org, and 986forum dot com.

You'll see my UOA on the 987 section in renntech

Regards,
paul...

Originally Posted By: PT1
I spoke to a local Porsche mechanic and he said Mobil1 15w40 only.

What a knowledgeable mechanic, he suggested you use an oil that doesn't exist.

Mobil 1 0w-40 is on the Porsche Approved list and factory fill.

I have a BoxSter and hang out on 6speed, renntech, rennlist, and ppbb (THE Boxster board). Porsche stopped recommending 15w-50 years ago. The last Porsche approved oil list I saw had almost exclusively 0-40 and 5-40 weights on it. Alot of guys run M1 just because of the sticker by the oil filler port, but should be ok with any oil on the approved list. I was able to find PP 5w-40 right now so I am running it.

I too have read about the drop in the recommended OCI but spoke to several dealers and none had heard anything official as of yet.

Interesting ... looks the the Porsche approved oil list is essentially the same as the VW/Audi 502 approved oil list.

This is what an oil must pass to meet the Porsche Test

Quote:
This test will last 203 hours. The engine, and the oil, will go through:
- 4 times the simulation of 35 hours of summer driving,
- 4 times the simulation of 13.5 hours of winter driving, - 40 cold starts,
- 5 times the simulation of 1-hour sessions on the “Nürburgring” racetrack,
- 3.5 hours of “running-in” program Measurements on the engine and on the oil will be done at regular intervals, and the following parameter will be taken into account to grant the approval or not:
- torque curve (internal friction),
- oxidation of the oil,
- Piston cleanliness and ring sticking, - Valve train wear protection. Cam & tappet wear must be less than 10 µm.
- Engine cleanliness and sludge: after 203 hours, no deposits must be visible.
- Bearing wear protection: visual rating according to Porsche in-house method.

Originally Posted By: phaphaphooey
.......... Alot of guys run M1 just because of the sticker by the oil filler port, ........

Agree, and this is what ExxonMobil was hoping for.

Regards,
paul....

Originally Posted By: paul_e320
.......... Alot of guys run M1 just because of the sticker by the oil filler port, ........

Regards,
paul....

And Porsche. Afterall, if it meets that spec, it has to be good.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: buster

Regards,
paul....

And Porsche. Afterall, if it meets that spec, it has to be good.
wink.gif

Agree again, and I've used M1 0W-40 in other cars and I'm happy with its performance (based on UOAs). BTW, thanks for posting the Porsche oil test requirements above.

Regards,
paul....

Originally Posted By: double vanos
Hey Paul, what is the Porsche forum you hang out on?

I'd like to check it out. Cheers!!

renntech dot org

I'm a contributing member which gives me access to TSBs and other useful stuff (like DIY service info). There's also rennlist dot org, and 986forum dot com.

You'll see my UOA on the 987 section in renntech

Regards,
paul...

rennlist.com is another great Porsche website with forums for every model. Not sure if it's related to renntech.org in any way.

Originally Posted By: reb03

rennlist.com is another great Porsche website with forums for every model. Not sure if it's related to renntech.org in any way.

Thanks for the correction -- it is "rennlist.com" and not "rennlist.org". I have all these places bookmark so I tend to forget the actual URLs.

BTW, I posted on renntech that I built an Excel spreadsheet to graphically trend my UOAs from the Blackstone report and offered it to anyone who wanted it -- no takers though. I'm new to the Porsche community so I don't know if doing UOAs is popular or not.

Regards,
paul....

BTW, I posted on renntech that I built an Excel spreadsheet to graphically trend my UOAs from the Blackstone report and offered it to anyone who wanted it -- no takers though. I'm new to the Porsche community so I don't know if doing UOAs is popular or not.

Regards,
paul....

I would love to see the list. I just picked up a 2005 C4S (20k miles, mint, all papers) and will do UOAs but since it's a 3rd car they will be somewhat infrequent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back