Pick my premium: BP vs. Sunoco

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Subaru WRX turbo requires 91 octane premium. The local Shell just closed so no more VPower for me.

The next convenient alternatives for me are BP and Sunoco. Which would you choose for premium fuel?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

BP, with their new formulation.
I remember Sunoco gas stations with crank handles on the sides of the pumps to crank it to whatever octane you desired [before pumping]!

Not all of the BP gas has invigorate in it. BP is testing it out on certain markets. Is ethanol requiured in gas in NJ?

I have heard that BP ultimate is one of the cleanest burning gasolines available.

Originally Posted By: mikered30
Not all of the BP gas has invigorate in it. BP is testing it out on certain markets. Is ethanol requiured in gas in NJ?

FYI....

Dear Mr. ....,

Thank you for your interest in BP Gasoline with Invigorate! At this time, gasoline sold at BP stations in the New York metro area does not contain the Invigorate additive.

We are currently pilot testing our new offer in several markets in Wisconsin, Virginia and Georgia. We are optimistic that the pilot tests will be successful and we will then begin to roll out BP Gasoline with Invigorate to our other markets.

Unfortunately, it is still too early to be able to communicate the details of our broader roll out schedule at this time.

Kind Regards,
BP US Fuels Marketing

I have used Sunoco gas whenever possible in my 95 GMC Sierra (5.0L) and my 06 VW GTI (2.0 turbo and direct injection) which gets Ultra. I have had good results for many years. Also when you use their Mastercard you get a 4% cash rebate which (unforuunately) is currently 13 cents a gallon. I have saved $800.00 in the past few years. Not insignificant.
Anyhow, I am very happy with Sunoco Ultra in the GTI

My AT&T Universal card gives me 5% on any gas station purchase (and supermarkets) so I'm already covered there.
smile.gif

The Invigorate additive looks like a good factor in favor of BP if/when they bring it to NJ. I do appreciate the anecdotal and subjective responses but does anyone know of any other fact-based reason to prefer Sunoco or BP?

mikered30, how did you hear that BP is cleaner than other fuels?

Thanks again for the help.

Last edited:
The obvious question is: does Sunoco have lots of additives? According to them, they have more than the EPA minimum, but do they have as much as BP (or Shell, Exxon/Mobil, etc.)?

I dunno.

It seems BP is the subjective winner in this and in other threads I've browsed. I still can't find any factual basis for the preference, but what the heck.

BP it is.

Based on the market I live in, I consider Sunoco the "average" or touchstone brand to compare others to. Sunoco is very big in the market here in E.PA. I think it's better than Mobil and generic, but would take Luk or definately WaWa gas over it. Sunoco is however a race gas and I assume there is a lot of R&D going into it. When it comes down to it, I don't really get great results with Sunoco. I have some Sunoco 89 in now, it runs nice but mpg is really poor. I dunno, I think BP is better in the reg grade.

Originally Posted By: Auto-Union
Based on the market I live in, I consider Sunoco the "average" or touchstone brand to compare others to. Sunoco is very big in the market here in E.PA. I think it's better than Mobil and generic, but would take Luk or definately WaWa gas over it. Sunoco is however a race gas and I assume there is a lot of R&D going into it. When it comes down to it, I don't really get great results with Sunoco. I have some Sunoco 89 in now, it runs nice but mpg is really poor. I dunno, I think BP is better in the reg grade.

All of Sunoco's gas is required to have up to 10% ethanol in it, that could be the cause of your low gas mileage. Depending where you live in PA, the other gas stations that you mentioned may not have ethanol in them. See here: http://www.exxon.com/USA-English/GFM/Files/US_Gasoline_Map.pdf

Wawa gas is Sunoco. They have a contract to supply it. Whether the additive package is the same is not known, but have read somewhere it is the same as Sunoco. Sunoco also supplies gas to Walmart's Optima stations.

Up here, in the Finger Lakes of NY, some Mobil (certain distributor) stations actually get the base fuel from Sunoco and then add Mobil additives. The rest get it from Exxon-Mobil. Mobil is supposed to have Top Tier level additives, but is not certified.

Sunoco is however a race gas and I assume there is a lot of R&D going into it.
Then Sunoco's marketing department has done a great job making people think of their GTX or HCR race fuels when filling up the family car with plain old gas. In lieu of specific, reliable facts I would not assume that any benefits from their race fuels trickle down to their regular grades. The only thing the race fuel has in common with the stuff at the local gas station is the logo.

Originally Posted By: Drew2000
Originally Posted By: mikered30

FYI....

Dear Mr. ....,

Thank you for your interest in BP Gasoline with Invigorate! At this time, gasoline sold at BP stations in the New York metro area does not contain the Invigorate additive.

We are currently pilot testing our new offer in several markets in Wisconsin, Virginia and Georgia. We are optimistic that the pilot tests will be successful and we will then begin to roll out BP Gasoline with Invigorate to our other markets.

Unfortunately, it is still too early to be able to communicate the details of our broader roll out schedule at this time.

Kind Regards,
BP US Fuels Marketing

FWIW, when I traveled from VA recently, I filled up at a station that had Invigorate banners all over the place. Didn't know what it was and promted my posting of such earlier. Seemed to be decent stuff (at least from what I could subjectively tell) and gave me milage on par with my personal highest milage fuel, Shell. Truck idled a bit smoother as well, but again, may have been the placebo effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back