Any one burn waste in there Diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a VW diesel in 79. I did pour the drain oil in the tank after seeing how much of it was fuel when it flashed so well in the burning pit (when you could have burning pits .and use them). Never knew any better ..the thing didn't run any different. Smoke level did go up.

I've put 4 gallons of hydralic fluid in a diesel generator running on JP-8 it didn't seem to hurt anything...dark flightline in the middle of the desert, no place to dispose of the fluid properly and no way to transport it back, into the tank...
is JP-4 around anymore? the USAF hasn't used it for years.

They still fly F-4's so yes at least in tyndall.
I have herd that C-130 crews will dump several gallons of 83282 in a -86 to get rid of it. As long as the -86 was not low on fuel it would be fine. But if it was low and they dumped a bunch of PAO based hydualic fluid next time you go to fire it up there would be nothing but lots of cranking.

This is a little different angle and not really an answer to your question, but here goes. I used to heat my generator shop with waste lube oil from my customer's engines. I had to do something with it, as some of these machines had 110 gallon pans. My burner used compressed air to push the oil through the injector. It worked great until the temp got below 20 degrees, then we would cut the waste oil 40- 50% with #2 home heating oil. It worked out really well, as we heated a 7000 squre foot shop for almost nothing.

the smoother running with SVO/WVO is due to the superior lubricity of the veggie oils.

I am repowering my Jeep with a chevy diesel and will be running a WVO 2-tank system.

Quote:

Now when I dumped in enough SVO to make the fuel in my fuel tank around 25% SVO my truck ran smoother and smelled like hot vegetable oil.
Next I want to try more SVO and maybe some gas mixed in to thin out the other 2.

If you had an older diesel with an inline injector pump, then it's possible (my old Land cruiser, you filled the pump with engine oil after rebuilding the pump)

I don't run used oil in mine, but I do occasionally run new 2 cycle oil in the tank. I usually use a ratio of oz lube/gal fuel (roughly 100-150:1, depending on when I fill up and how much I fill up).

Mileage is the same, can't really say if it is doing anything or not, but it gets rid of the excess 2-cycle oil that I have laying around since I now have a 4-cycle lawn mower, and the weed wacker doesn't use all that much fuel to begin with.

Has anyone tried this? Instead of filtering the used oil, distill it. It seems to me if you built a wood fire under a metal container, boiled the oil, then condense the vapors, (an easy thing to be in cold weather,)and capture the condensate, the condensate should be free of ash forming additives and particulates. I'm just wondering if it would work.
Ted

I think that the oil would turn to coke...don't know for sure 'though, although the volatiles might make an acceptable fuel.

If you're wanting to try it, I've got a high school chemistry condenser that I'd donate to the cause...as long as you promise me you're not going to start up a meth lab.

tedt, i have seen people do that on some diesel website, the dieselstop.com i think it was.
they were able to get clear looking fuel out of the distillation unit. the remains were a tar like sludge that was saved and used as energy to heat even more oil and boil it.

Thanks to the both of you. Master ACid, I,m going to try to find the thread you mentioned. Shannow, I have what I think would make a good condenser, the finned copper element from a hot water base board heater.
Ted

Hi! I am new to this forum so bear with me. I think i can help with any questions that have risen about WMO Waste motor oil as a diesel fuel. I have been in aviation / heavy equip. /light equip., as a technician, mechanic , designer and engineer, but most of my knowledge has come from me just doing experiments in the garage!
so here goes: Can you burn wmo in a diesel? Short answer yes! Long answer, it need to be filtered and centrifuged and /or distilled (boil the alcohol and or water out) slightly to work well. You can run it with out doing this as i have but it works much better this way. It still seems harder to start but runs ok, Smokey, but ok. I have also burned trans fluid, gear oil, hyd oil, WVO, JET A, B (jp4), kerosene in percentages and combinations of 10% to 90% with no ill effects on the engines, other than different color smoke, and slightly lower or higher power out put. I will say this from my experiments. Running waste jet fuel, (or kerosene) requires that you add some lubrication to the mix...usually trans fluid or, the best is 2 stoke oil, 128:1 or higher is fine. This is for the fuel system mostly. The idea that waste oil burning causes an increase in crankcase oil volume is mostly, false. Can oil or another alt diesel fuel bypass the rings into the case? Yes. Not often and not much but, Truth is, it does happen.
Next: veggie oil needs to be heated! I am in MN and if u don’t heat it all u get is a nice wax sculpture. It burns well and smells good, but you need to filter it, and if you want bio diesel than you need to do some other things as well, still worthwhile though.
Gasoline: use at your own risk/ yes I have used it, in fact when I "garage refine" some of my fuels i use gasoline or E-85, it works well...but a high level of caution should be exercised when using any amount above 10%, don't be fooled by the fact gasoline has less energy (btu's) by volume than diesel, WVO WMO, etc.. Its not it’s output, its HOW it burns! , Gasoline tends to EXPLODE haphazardly under compression ignition! This is why I use e-85..As alcohol (85%) resists compression ignition and alleviates this problem to an extent when mixed with the other alt.fuels..plus its cheaper. Still 10% MAX is my , and my melted engines, recommendation.
If this helps let me know!

I have10 gallons of peanut oil I was thinking of just pouring in my PSD tank during the summer while it was half full or so of diesel...

Anybody think I might be doing something stupid?

Do it a gallon at a time in a tank full and you SHOULD be OK.

Expect possibly some filter plugging.

I have been burning waste oil for about 6 months or so now. I burn it in 2 Case 500 diesels, and I burn it in my 1990 7.3 Ford F350. My two tractors didn't have strong enough manual fuel pumps to get it to the injection pump, so I installed an electronic 4psi pump which works great. I'm running a 10% blend with gasoline to thin the used oil down. My tractors start great on it, but my Ford does not. However, I must say that my Ford starts hard on diesel just not as hard as on used oil. Here's my question for you blz: will my 10% gasoline blended used oil fuel "gel" this winter when the temperatures drop into the teens? Another question I have for you: can I burn used oil in a newer electronically controlled diesel? I've been told that in the newer engines that it will cause computer problems. However, I was also told this about dyed off road fuel, and I know for fact that it isn't true. Just wondering what your thoughts are running used oil in like my 12.7L detroit in a semi tractor.

Cummins had a thingie that pumped crancase oil into the diesel some how to reduce oil changes I do not know anything about it though.

That all sounds well and good for a diesel with out cats, but I'd be a bit weary of it with cats, and it seems an absolute no-no with a DPF.

Dave

Yeah, it was an oil recycler that many over the road guys used on their cummins powered semis. However, I don't know of any that ran them after 1994 when the old manual pumps were replaced with electronic ones. A fleet owner was the one that told me to absolutely not burn used oil in a new electronic diesel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back