VW 1.8T PCV system. Breather hose pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made this thread so I wouldn't completely hijack the persons thread where this started.

Most people with VWs know that there have been specific complaints about the 1.8T engines. Main complaints were from Passat owners, so I ended up taking some pictures from my car, which uses the same engine but just in a different configuration (transverse vs. straight).

My breather hose, which is a part of the PCV system, which often times gets sludged up on these engines, cracked and I figuered I will take pictures of how it looked inside.

Here is the location of the hose, Y pipe, and you can obviously see the crack.

DSC03544.jpg

After I replaced the pipe I cracked it open to see if there were any deposits inside and how it looked.

Here is what I found:
Breather_hose.jpg

It was eaten up byu the hot oil fumes, heat and cold shifts I would say. The rubber became very brittle and resembled dried, cracked river beds or deserts.

I found oil throughout the system and it all wiped off without a problem.

JAG asked about the following things, so I am putting that up as well.

OCI: Mostly 5000 miles. I have gone as long as 7500

Oil used: Mobil 1 0w-40, Synpower 5w-40, Syntec 0w-30.
* The interesting part about this was that the car did not start receiving synthetic until 23 000 miles. At that time the OCI was 3000 miles.

Driving habits: Mostly highway, but the car sees every type of driving. Redline; slow driving with early upshifts; stop and go and highway.
*Again this is a special category, because when I lived in NYC the car was mostly stop and go (while on conventional oil).

If anybody has any other questions let me know.

Thanks for answering my questions. The relatively clean hose speaks highly of Mobil 1 0w-40, Synpower 5w-40, and Syntec 0w-30. I'm still realing over the cost of replacing my PCV system that I'm afraid to go past 4K miles. You've gone longer than that without PCV buildup which is reassuring but it's tempered by us having different climates and driving habits. Time will tell. Thanks again.

BTW, I'm jealous that your 337 GTI has no sunroof while my 20th Anniversary Edition GTI does...all that weight at the highest part of a car is just wrong!

This is actually a fairly common thing for the 1.8t's. Its been awhile since I left VW but it wouldnt hurt to see if there is an open recall for your vehicle concerning this hose. Im am all but 100% sure that one there was a recall out there but cant remember for what vehicles.

The sludge-prone Saab 2.3 turbo motors have a similar problem. The hose erodes at the first bend coming off the valve cover - this is where the gases are hottest. Seems to occur regardless of type of oil or OCI. Likely just a question of heat cycles and age. Conventional wisdom is that that failed hose is a significant contributor to the sludging problem.

Why manufacturers choose rubber over metal or chemical-resistant plastic in these areas is beyond me. (Well, it's cost, I know, but I still find it galling.)

JAG, the components of the PCV system are not cheap, so I would think that is the reason why the cost is so high.

The hose that I bought, that is pictured here, was $70 MSRP. I got it for $46, but only because I knew a guy at the dealership.

I am sure that ll the other stuff adds up and you add at least 1-2 hours of labor and you have your $500+ charge there.

Yeah, the PCV system parts my engine needed cost several hundred dollars. I got new PCV valve, suction jet pump kit, and hose that comes up from below the intake manifold and connects to the Y-hose. I may have got a new Y-hose as well but I can't remember if I did or if they just cleaned it. The labor cost wasn't so bad considering doing this myself would have been a nightmare to do. The dipstick tube broke while this work was done so I got a new one free of charge...woo-hoo! Good thing since even that was varnished on the inside.

Quote:

The hose that I bought, that is pictured here, was $70 MSRP.

That's just flat out crazy for such a little hose; it should be made out of aircraft grade high temp silicone for that kind of money.

Quote:

Quote:

The hose that I bought, that is pictured here, was $70 MSRP.

That's just flat out crazy for such a little hose; it should be made out of aircraft grade high temp silicone for that kind of money.

Sadly it is not. Somebody on vortex was saying that a company should make an aftermarket hose for the application, but what would be the cost?

I think there are two versions of this hose, because my original one ended with AH, and the new one ends with BH. Usually that means something was changed/ improved.

I just wanted to let you know that the fuel smell is gone.

I would think it is related to the fix.

I will know for sure when I get my UOA done, but that won't be any time soon.

I could smell a strong gas odor from the dipstick and from the oil fill hole, but now it is not present anymore.

Nice pictures, although it would be great if you could move 6 inches back to show the perspective. I've been looking in vain to find where the PCV actually is and how hard it is to inspect on these engines.

I heard the Passat configuration is more troublesome than the Jetta.

Maybe the different part numbers for the hose correspond to the Passat vs. Jetta configuration?

crw, this is not the whole PCV system. It's just one of the components.

The piece pictured here is fairly easy to find.

1. Take off your engine cover.
2. Look at your cylinder head (top of engine where your oil fill hole is)
3. If you have a Passat this piece should be facing the cabin (rear of the car. Jetta, GTI, Golfs have it facing the drivers side.
4. Its the Y shaped hose that is connected to the cylinder head.

If you need more info let me know. Ill try to find a picture that is from a Passat.

Here is a great website for all Passat related stuff.
http://www.taligentx.com/passat/maintenance/

Here are some pictures of the hose, but it is from a transverse engine.

001.jpg

Follow the oil fill hole and you will see where the pipe is. Its on the same line as the fill hole just pass that "incline" haha

To the right if the hand.
009.jpg

To the left/ underneath the hand.
017.jpg

I think that should explain it.

Thanks. Yes, I have a Jetta. Bought it with 88K miles and it has been a dream. Trouble free, and the engine is clean on the inside from all I can tell. I did a Seafoam not too far from there... I'd have to look again to be sure. Anyway, I don't have any issues and my hoses look pristine.

This engine rocks!

The actual PCV valve is burried underneath the intake manifold.

You need to take off some plastic pieces and then you can get to it.

If you count the "fingers" on the intake manifold (from left, being number 1, to right, being number 4), the PCV is underneath the third/ fourth "finger".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back