pour point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone know the specs of Tech2000 5w30 at Canadian Wal-mart's,in particular it's pour point?
Winter is nearly upon us and if our summer is any indication, we are in for a cold one.

thegoose, there is a virgin oil test on this 5-30 Tech2000 in the *virgin oil sample* forum done by Saturn. It does not show pour point though but good analysis on this oil.

Tech2000 has been a thorn in my side, I have gone to great lengths to find out what it is. I have been told it was Quaker State, then SafeKleen as of last September. I have heard Petro Can mentioned, I contacted Petro Can and they said No. I heard Esso/Mobil has possible conections now particularly in the SuperTech in States. It is my belief now with help in this forum that Tech2000 is SuperTech, both from Walmart, one from north and other south. I think SafetyKleen bottles SuperTech for Tech2000 in Canada in my opinion after a lot of searching.

I used Tech2000 mixed with Esso Protec last year because I needed a blend for a new engine break in, normally I use full syn. Prior to that car I used this 5-30 Tech2000 in another engine and it did good job on hard winter starts.

I dont trust Walmart oil anymore, dont know what it is, I like to know what goes into my engine, it seems once you find out what Tech2000 is you hear of a new contract to some other company, the trail starts again.

I now use XD3 0-30 Esso 100% POA syn oil. This oil has pour point of -48C, it has lower pour point than Esso Superflo syn which is -39. XD3 0-30 has higher viscosity rate at 40C & 100C than Superflo 5-30. XD3 is CI-4/SL diesel & gas rated. I cant imagine Tech2000 being a better oil than Esso Superflo and certainly not XD3 , I liked the Walmart oil, thing is, the XD3 is $3.71 litre, Walmart 5-30 is abut 5.65 single litre and about $5.00 in 4.4 jug. Superflo syn at Esso is $6.00 litre. I gota go with the Esso at about $2.00 less . The TBN on Superflo is 8.6, on Tech2000 7.5, on XD3 12.2. Better eveything on XD3 for less money.

Caution, if you go to Esso bulk supplier, look for the red upside down triangle on front lable, be sure it says *SYNTHETIC*. XD3 was semi syn up till last march, there may still be some semi syn bottles around, get the new 100% syn stock.

Tech2000 or Superflo will do a job, XD3 will do a better job for less. I did my homework for a good oil for this year, I think it will be cold too. I use this 0-40 XD3 syn this winter for my diesel too, it is $4.19 and both 0-30 and 0-40 I hear is made by Mobil now, Mobil apparently took over Esso syn oils. Shake up at Esso, Primepro will become Imperial in October, Mobil taking over Esso syn oil according to my bulk dealer.

I am not an Esso salesman, far from it, but if you look at Esso XD3 specs and start comparing to other syn oils and prices there is no contest, I have to pinch myself to see if I am dreaming on this value, I will use both grade oil all year round for the better high temp protection too.

Esso stands behind products too, that is big benefit for me. Esso XD3 makes John Deere oil, good enough for John Deere then good enough for me. I talk to lot of people to get best oil for my vehicles, only passing on what I find, hope it helps some.

Cyprs

thegooose, I forgot one thing, I have been advised in this forum that if your vehicle needsa 5-30 or 10-30 oil then use the 0-30 because this XD3 is on thick side. That does no scare me when I see the pour point of -48, but this oil will work in summer too, better than most 5-30. The 0-40 also has -48 PP but I am warned not to use it in a Nissan with requirement of 5-30, 0-30 is recommended.

Cyprs

Can someone define the pour point test for me? With winter approaching, I'm offering to do a pour point experiment one more time. As i said last year, I have glass tubes about 1 inch in diameter and 3 inches long that fit in my cloud/pour point tester. My plan was to fill them to an equal level, chill them from ambient down to -30F or so, then photograph them at various times, after being knocked over on a level surface...the time intervals would be recorded and present in the pics. This would only work if I had the ability to post pictures here, which I have not looked into yet.
Right now I have GC, ChevSup 10-30, M1 10-30, MDC 10-30, Delvac 1300S 15-40.

I agree with Cyprs
cool.gif

I picked up Esso XD-3 0w30 for $4.52CAN a litre, taxes enivro fees included.

If you can find out an oil's cold cranking numbers or even better cold pumpability numbers,(If I understand it right the lower the number the better at the same viscosity.) it will give you a better idea on an oil's performance in winter.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back