Selecting an oversized oil filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use a larger oil filter on my 2000 Nissan Frontier
(4 cylinder).

What criteria do I have to consider when selecting an oversized oil filter?

Besides making sure the oversized filter seals correctly (same size o-ring rubber seal and the internal threads on the base plate are the same as OEM), is there anything else I have to consider?

Is there anything wrong with searching for the largest filter at Wal-Mart with the same size base plate as the OEM filter?

Are there any issues to consider with by-pass valve, etc?

Any help would be appreciated?

Make sure the bypass if it exists in the OEM filter exists in the oversize in the same pressure range. If its off by a few psi, I wouldnt worry. But going from a 8-11 to a 33 might be bad. Make sure the oversize has an ADBV if OE has one. You could even look for filters with a larger can diameter but same size gasket. As far as the gasket, if you have enough room around the mount, check the actual size of the gasket pad, both inner and outer. Sometimes they are larger than the OE filter to an extent that you can use a filter with a larger gasket without problems.

Amsoil has a good oversize filter chart. It was posted here years ago I am sure a site sponser can help you out .

Quote:

Linkie: url=http://pws.cablespeed.com/%7Epablomail/AmsoilEaProductNumListings.pdf]http://pws.cablespeed.com/%7Epablomail/AmsoilEaProductNumListings.pdf[/url]

A..Hemm...this list defective
laugh.gif
where are the Studebakers????
beer2.gif

I have a whole slew of specs of the stock-replacement filter that WIX makes for my 1989 Acura Integra, 1.6L, D16a1, P/N 51334.

Part Number: 51334
UPC Number: 765809513341
Principal Application: Acura (88-05), Chevrolet (85-88), Dodge (91-96), Ford (88-96), Honda (72-05), Hyundai (89-07), Isuzu (85-04), Kia (01-07), Mercury (87-91), Mitsubishi (89-98), Subaru (87-07), John Deere, Kobelco, Komatsu, Kubota, Onan, Toro & Yanmar Diesel
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 3.194
Outer Diameter Top: 3.252
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=22/40
Burst Pressure-PSI: 280
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.475 2.173 0.233

Now how much of this is necessary info, and does anybody have any idea where to start to search for a larger filter, rather than searching thru specs of every car ever made? I tried that on the Wix site, and got frustrated after 3.5 hours. Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Last edited:
If you had access to a Wix master catalog you could see all the 20x1.5M threads that they have to offer. You could then compare gasket sizes.

If you want a longer (but shorter than your last) method. Go to Donaldson's site Here and put in M20 X 1.5 (just like that) and you'll see all of the offerings that Donaldson has in the 20x1.5 mm thread. Most have larger gaskets than yours ..but may work.

Here's one

P550158

Lube Filters Product Attributes
A - OD (Inches): 3.81
B - Thread Size (Inches): M20 X 1.5
C - Length (Inches): 3.7
D - Gasket OD (Inches): 2.82
E - Gasket ID (Inches): 2.42
Relief Valve Setting (PSI): 8-11
Anti Drain Valve (Y/N): Yes
Product Type Description: LUBE SPIN-ON FULL FLOW
Primary Application: FORD E3TZ6731C

Then punch that into WIX

Part Number: 51324
UPC Number: 765809513242
Principal Application: Small GM/Isuzu Diesels (81-83), Chevrolet Corvette (91-95), Ford/Mazda Diesel (83-87), Dodge/Mitsubishi Diesel PUs (83-84), Mitsubishi Fuso Trucks
All Applications
Style: Spin-On Lube Filter
Service: Lube
Type: Full Flow
Media: Paper
Height: 4.354
Outer Diameter Top: 3.663
Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed
Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM
By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
Beta Ratio: 2/20=10/25
Burst Pressure-PSI: 280
Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM
Nominal Micron Rating: 19

Gasket Diameters
Number O.D. I.D. Thk.
Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

As you can see, the gasket MAY be too big for your engine.

On the KA24, I've had no problem using oversized filters.

Stock size is L14610. Purolators that I've used were the L20073, L24458, L14459.
Larger filter diameters would leak at the gasket.

You can crossreference those PN's for the brands that you want to use, and you'll have to check them for clearance.

If want a bigger filter or better selection of filters, you can use a remote oil filter kit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back